VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VAG Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAG Help

Can anyone help me read this Excel sheet when I hooked up a VAG to my car? I have no idea what it all means.
I upgraded to a KO4 and GIAC chip. It ran very good for the 1st day, then all of a sudden when I was on the highway, it seemed like my car was getting too much fuel. 1st gear is ok, 2nd gear bogs a bit, but when the RPM's start to go up, the engine starts to run normal.. 3rd, 4th, 5th.. forget about it. I would need to have a 2 mile strip for my RPM's to slowly climb and begin to burn off the gas until it finally starts to run normal. The KO4 upgrade recommends I use a 5bar FPR, but with the 5Bar my car will barely move because it feeds WAY too much fuel to the engine. I'm running the stock FPR.
I changed my ECU AND CHIP, and changed my MAF sensor. My whole engine is fully rebuilt. I'm not sure what I should do next.
If anyone would like to see what the VAG Tool logged, I'll be happy to send it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

97 A4 1.8t FWD
KO4
GIAC
Old 04-03-2003, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might want to ask in the performance/tuning forum.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default do you have a bentley manual?

There are lots of statistics you can compare, reading from a/f, mass air flow, engine load and timing... these will point towards possible faulty systems.

Is the ECU giving you any DTC's? If you are running rich, then the ECU should tell you, or you should get a CEL if it's bad enough (ie, a malfunctioning sensor). It almost sounds like you have a vacuum/air leak somewhere. Check for DTC's in the Engine control module and post what you find?
Old 04-03-2003, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Who sold you this stuff???

First, at light throttle, 5 bar regulator will not dump too much fuel into your car. The O2 sensors, if working, will sense rich operation and your ECU will pull back the fuel til the mix is right. At WOT it is a different story, and with the K-04, you might just need the extra fuel.

You really need to be sure the chip you have is right for your setup, otherwise you could be running into problems. Again, around town the lambda sensors will make things right if your plugs/injectors/MAF are stock. If not, then you really need to be sure to get that chip set up for your configuration.

I think you should seek the help of someone who has set up a 1.8/K-04 and follow their lead. There are way too many variables to answer a question like this in easy way.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:53 AM

Yes
Old 04-04-2003, 09:56 AM

Default I have the correct configuration

I have a buddy who has the exact same setup as mine.
Jordan from EvolutionMS checked the chip and ecu to make sure everything is correct. In fact, I even bought another ecu and had EVOms put a new chip on it.. Still the same.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good. It sounds like you have a basis for comparison.

It would be interesting to compare logs from your buddy's car and your own. With a lack of better advice, I'd start with the basics on identical roads with identical gas, etc.. and look at engine timing, injector time, MAF vs RPM, request/delivered load, request/delivered boost in comparison to the "known good" car.

If there is a difference, it should jump off the page pretty quickly (especially if you graph the data).

Btw, you said that car ran well before the mods were done? Have you gone back and made sure that everything (all the basic stuff) under the hood is OK? How do the spark plugs look? Fouled?

Are your O2 sensors OK? Vag can tell you that.

Do you have a stock ECU and standard FPR to try? That way you could get back to some kind of baseline...

If you have a performance-friendly mechanic at your local dealer, he might be willing to take an unofficial look too.

There are too many variables to give you a quick and dirty "try this" over the web. But having a friend setup just like you lets you do comparisons, and also allows you to swap parts etc...

Good luck on this one! I am sure that you'll be able to get it sorted and that you'll have a ball with your K-04!