Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

New Q7 2015 TDI slight shimmy dealer calls it road feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Q7 2015 TDI slight shimmy dealer calls it road feedback?

Hello,

New to the forum but already with an issue.
We bought our Q7 this past June it came with 19 inch wheels and we decided to upgrade to 20 inch. the dealer put on brand new Yokohama Parada Spec-X all seasons, beautiful tires. now before all this we drove down from Canada to South Carolina in the original 19 inch wheels and everything was fine. Upon returning we made the switch and that's where it all started. We felt a shimmy on the steering wheel at speeds between 71 and 74 miles per hour only so we brought it in. They found a faulty tire and replaced it. The shimmy was still there is nothing big but there is definitely a shaking on the wheel still at the same speeds.
By now we have brought it in another 3 times. Dealer has done the following: wheel alignment, tires balanced, road force tested and nothing wrong with rims according to the Audi dealership. Dealership told us that this is a common and normal shaking on the steering wheel when switching from 19 inch to 20 inch, they called it road feedback.
Please advised, it sounds ridiculous that we are the only ones with this issue and that everyone with 20 inch wheels and Q7s have the same problem.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it do this on different types of pavement? IF they've checked all of those things, then next I'd try is rotating the wheels and see if it changes. IF it does, then another tire is bad.

That being said, yes, lower profile tires can make the vehicle more sensitive to road imperfections. The wheels are also heavier, so a wheel imbalance will be more noticeable.... however, they said they checked balance.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by motoguy128
Does it do this on different types of pavement? IF they've checked all of those things, then next I'd try is rotating the wheels and see if it changes. IF it does, then another tire is bad.

That being said, yes, lower profile tires can make the vehicle more sensitive to road imperfections. The wheels are also heavier, so a wheel imbalance will be more noticeable.... however, they said they checked balance.
I run 20" summers and 19" winter and there is no shimmy in my vehicle.

I would take the car to a good tire/wheel shop - First get them to check the balance. It could be a out of round tire, or even a wheel.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your feedback guys. We also tested another brand new 2015 Q7 with 20" wheels different rims and tires and it also did the same thing, its an intermittent shaking, does not happen all the time but it comes and goes so it may be like they said road feedback but its hard to get used to if you have not experienced it before.
We met with the General manager and also the service manager who also confirmed it is normal. At this point I might just go back to my 19" but the car looks awesome with these wheels on.
I might just get another opinion somewhere other than an Audi dealership.

Cheers