Driveline shudder from 3rd to 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline shudder from 3rd to 4th gear

I found this perfect description online, but they were not able to find a solution as well.

I don't remember what range of rpm causes it, but here's a loose description. You're in 3rd gear, pedal to the floor. You do a fast shift to 4th, again floor the pedal as you come off the clutch. At that moment, the car develops the shudder. It lasts for about a second, and feels as though the clutch is alternately slipping and grabbing, or as though instead of actually hold the gas pedal all the way down, you were fluttering it at a rate of around 10 pulses per second.

What I find disconcerting is that the car actually surges forward (and not forward) the shudder is so strong. I mean you feel it as much in your back as in your backside. It concerns me because it is so strong...

I've had the clutch replaced twice!! but no luck same problem, had the APR Engine mount put in, shudder still there.

Transmission mounts, and Engine mounts look good.
I'd appreciate any info into solving this problem.
The car is a 96 Audi A4 2.8 12v FWD.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a similar shutter. I have always thought it was the clutch but now I'm not so sure.

Did you have the flywheel resurfaced or replaced at either of your clutch replacments?
Old 12-12-2003, 06:19 PM

Default I have a shudder in 3rd and 4th gears, mostly around 40mph. (accelerating or cruising)

Probably not the same problem as you though, as mine is quattro. This is a shudder you can hear (low growl), feel in butt, and feel in shifter lever. I have put in an APR snub mount and tranny mounts which did help cover up the problem, but it is still there. Many things it could be:

driveshafts not turning true (my right rear one isn't and is getting replaced soon)
Main driveshaft out of balance(already replaced)
One of my tranny mount "arms" was cracked and welded before (will be getting replaced soon)
Bad rear diff (quattro only)
Bad engine mounts (might be my problem as I think the car was previously hit in the front end -heard you can't tell by looking at them)

Good luck fixing yours! Maybe my endeavors into this will help you some. I just want my car to be smooooth one day.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have the same shudder/shutter exactly how you described it.

and yes i happens when almost flooring from 3rd and quickly shifting to 4th. It seems to last about a second or two.

I replaced the tranny mounts although looking at the old ones, they didn't look too bad at all..I have been trying to replicate the shudder/shutter mystery and i have noticed a lot of improvement. I still feel a little when really pushed hard but a lot better than before. I am thinking maybe I should do the snub mount but at this point, it's not that necessary and I can still live with it..

hmm...
Old 12-13-2003, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I have the same shudder/shutter exactly how you described it.

If you did your tranny mounts you should then do the snub mount as well since it "protects" tranny mounts, or at least helps them last longer. Just get the apr one for $50, and I think its easy to replace
Old 12-13-2003, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

And you're sure it's not the fuel "shuddering"
Old 12-13-2003, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a similar shutter too.. once i got rid of my orgional susp...

with 105k on it yeah i know..
it really helped with alot of things but this still is there but not all the time.. i think i should replace engine mounts snub mounts and trans mount. where have you gotten these before.
thanks
also i have finnished replacing all control arms in front when i did my susp ... like a brand new car.. once i replace the rear squeaky arms.. if it isnt something on my car it is my wife..haha..
Old 12-14-2003, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can get the engine and tranny mounts from germanautoparts.com. I am still using my original

ones as they still look good. I put in a APR snub mount about 25,000 miles ago when I did my timing belt maintenance. I got it from a local tuner but you can find them online. Try APR's website at www.goapr.com or find a local Audi tuner.