Speed Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Limiter

okay, i know that our cars limit top speed at 135 to 140 mph. Has anyone heard of anyone taking it out or removing the limiter?
Old 11-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Speed Limiter

My limiter allows me to go 127mph MAXIMUM. I was considering trying to take the limiter out but then i realized that i'd be using it to go faster than 127mph and that i'd like to be able to drive for the rest of my life...

just my 2 cents.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Speed Limiter

Yea, i see your point, but do you actually know of a way in doing that?
Old 11-09-2003, 01:25 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default we're limited to 130MPH (exactly) with stock tire/wheel sizes...

There is no known way to date to disable/eliminate the speed limiter on the ECU we have. If there were, someone would have also been able to "crack" the rest of the chip parameters and fuel/timing tables and gives us a different or better chip.

This is the all-too-well-known Achilles Heel of our car. The BIG work-around. The problematic enchilada. The red-headed stepson. The WALL!!
Old 11-09-2003, 01:36 PM
JWG

Default Cannot eliminate Speed Limiter w/o changing to Standalone ECM . . .

Remember from the old Yahoo 12v forum that one of the many chip tuners to whom we brought our MMS 411 Hitachi ECM (ECU's for those of you who prefer calling it a "unit" instead of a "module") for analysis explained the precise nature of the problem: Hitachi made our ECM's prohibitively expensive and difficult to modify by including the ECM's program on the processor chip rather than on a separate memory chip. Thus, unlike the Bosch ECM's that have a separate memory chip for the program that you can either replace or flash, we would have to replace our unique combination processor/memory chip which would cost more than getting an off-the-shelf professional standalone ECM.

Forgive me if I have you confused with someone else, but I thought that whoever provided the supercharger pics in your picture poster would have explained that to you.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:39 PM

Default Re: we're limited to 130MPH (exactly) with stock tire/wheel sizes...

Okay, so in a way its better to get a stand alone system. Thats actually what i was thinking but now it will be a little while before i can get it. Does anyone know how much they'll cost. Matrix Engineering in Oregon has one for 3g's (TEC3) plus install and testing. i think that be around 4 to 5 g's at the end. I need to get bigger injectors on my car. It has a stutter effect if i give it too much gas (flooring it too quickly)i was thinking of gettin the RS4 injectors and fuel pump, but that too has to wait. I'm broke but i know what i need to make my set up run perfectly.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The built in memory is still FlashROM, isn't it? The OEM still has to have a way to flash the

program into the chip, by JTAG (did it exist back
then), or some other means. Is MMS411 the name
of the chip family?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

"like my undersized MAF, the speed limiter remains untouchable...much like the rays of a rainbow"
Old 11-09-2003, 08:49 PM
JWG

Default Non-flashible chip from what I understand; MMS 411 is Audi's ECM designation.

Like I said, it's hard coded, not soft coded memory.

If Hitachi had soft coded it, we would have the ability to modify the program. However, this chip was an emergency one-off, because (as rumor has it) the 30v with which Audi intended to introduce the the 96-97 A4's suffered from development problems due to the complexity of the heads. However, in order to sell the A4 in the USA in 1996, Audi needed to comply with the new OBD-II standards. Bosch apparently had too much OBD-II chip development to do for all of its other manufacturers and could not take on the work so late due to Audi's inability to develop the 30v on schedule; so, Audi gave the project to Hitachi who came up with the MMS 411. The Bentley manual states that Bosch had done some prototype OBD-II work on the 100/A6 12v; however, it appears that Audi had to abandon the Bosch prototype for whatever reason. It would be interesting to see if any of those 1996 A6's have a Bosch setup.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wow so much information I LOVE IT!!!!

where do you find that stuff??

Quick Reply: Speed Limiter