Q5: A Possibly New 2.0T Oil Consumption Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 2.0 Oil Consumption

I am new to this forum as I just purchased a Q5 and hope I am posting/replying correctly. Within a week after my purchase I got a message my oil was low one quart but I could continue to keep driving. I am not a mechanic and have no knowledge about this issue or how to resolve it. I am reading that this is an issue with Audi cars with over 100,000 miles. I do not see any oil spots in my driveway or at work where I park. I am reading that this is a problem with these cars and the repair costs can be quite extensive. I am concerned where the oil is going and if it is causing damage to any other parts of the car. If this is an issue with Audi vehicles why has there been no recall to repair the problem? Were you able to fix your oil issue?
Old 02-11-2021, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 351 Likes on 323 Posts

You need to tell us more about your car like what what year it is, the service history, etc. There are several things you should be looking at with respect to oil consumption before turning your attention to the oil control rings. Also FYI we have moved this discussion here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...issue-3012245/

First order of business would be to replace your PCV if it hasn't been done already. And switching to an oil for DFI engines that protects against preignition and soot and dropping your oil change intervals to 5K miles/6 months max:
https://drivenracingoil.com/i-304977...motor-oil.html
Old 02-11-2021, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by claw86
I am new to this forum as I just purchased a Q5 and hope I am posting/replying correctly. Within a week after my purchase I got a message my oil was low one quart but I could continue to keep driving. I am not a mechanic and have no knowledge about this issue or how to resolve it. I am reading that this is an issue with Audi cars with over 100,000 miles. I do not see any oil spots in my driveway or at work where I park. I am reading that this is a problem with these cars and the repair costs can be quite extensive. I am concerned where the oil is going and if it is causing damage to any other parts of the car. If this is an issue with Audi vehicles why has there been no recall to repair the problem? Were you able to fix your oil issue?
The first thing you need to do is top off that oil! Don't be driving around with it expecting the problem to get better on its own. Then carefully consider silver_tt's advice. Unless you have a very compelling reason to not follow his advice (like your car is still under warranty), I would follow it.

The short answer is no - I have not fixed my oil issue. This has evolved into a research project that is going to have me pull the engine and look at the pistons and rings. As silver_tt says, we need more info to see if we can help you. There are only a couple of places that oil can go. If you are not leaking it is most certainly being burned. No oil spots in the parking spots is good, but the car has a belly pan that might prevent that. I would inspect the underside as well. Depending on the year of your car, I would not expect too much help from Audi. They lost a class-action lawsuit over this issue, and my 2016 Q5 with the CPMB 2.0T motor has a note in the owner's manual that says the motor could be EXPECTED to use a half quart every 600 miles. Neither silver_tt nor I are professional mechanics, but we are both engineers with a more or less disciplined approach to this kind of stuff, and we like to solve problems and fix things. That's why I keeping my car - this thing has been a great value and if all I have to do to get another 85,000 miles out of it is spend about $4K and some time, I will. That is way less expensive than buying a new car. There are also several other folks here that are knowledgeable on this car. Check out the other thread that silver_tt pointed you to. You aren't alone. We share the info we have and learn together.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much. As I have no idea about fixing cars, sounds like I’ll be taking to my local shop. I absolutely love the car but hope this doesn’t turn into a huge expense.