APR Stage III Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Stage III Question

Hi All,
Per your recommendations, I replaced my old K03 Turbos that went with K04s last spring.

My 2000 A6 2.7T is primarily stock except that it had the APR Stage I chip (318 Bhp @ 93 octane). Now that I have the K04s I'm contemplating upping the chip (ie Stage III).

However, I got a quote from an APR shop stating it would cost ~$15K to do everything!? Is this normal? I expect that I could buy the Stage III Kit (if worth buying) WITHOUT the Turbo's for ~$4,500. However, the guy stated that I would need a bunch of other items (anti-sway bars, new brakes, etc etc) if I were to add that much power.

Net Questions are: 1) Is it worth all of this? 2) Am I going to put such strain on the core car/engine that I'll regret it? 3) Is it really this expensive? 4) What are the critical "things" I need to ensure the car is safe and controllable?

I love the idea of this kind of torque/power, but want the groups opinion.

Thx so much guys!
John
Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my opinion? if APR is going to let their sales people try to do that to you, then sell your APR

chip to someone in trade for their stock chip, send that chip to AWE/ASP/EPL/VAST/etc. and have them quote you the extra goodies needed (make sure to give them your list of current modifications) for your engine.

No, you won't put that much of a strain on the engine if you go with their off-the-shelf kits.

I can't tell you how expensive it is b/c I don't know what you've done besides K04 turbos. You've obviously not done the fueling kit or fuel pump upgrade. What about exhaust?

Safe and controllable? For what? Your A6 doing fine for you now? If you have issues, resolve the issues. You can obviously throw money at the car for better handling and "better" braking and the like, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You could end up at that $10k+ number really quickly.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default boy is that shop smelling $$...

You have KO4s, next you need fueling,and an ecu reflash. Then when yoy want think about exhaust, intake, etc. Then if you want think about handling.

I would assume with K04s you already upgraded you brakes.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:06 AM

Default Re: boy is that shop smelling $$...

I actually haven't even done anything with my brakes yet...just put in the K04s and, other than probably being a bit more efficient, they don't really behave any differently from my old K04s with the Stage I chip (318Bhp).

Why, should I definitely have changed my brakes by now? Doesn't appear to have problem slowing?

Thanks for the response. So, what's the ultimate takeaway? What are the top 4-5 things I need and what should I expect to spend (approx) for the upgrade to fully use K04s?

thx guys!!!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default upgrading brakes isn't a requirement. ironically, people think that if you put larger turbos in

that you are automatically going to drive your car at 200 mph on the track or something insane like that. If you aren't going to be tracking your car, stock brakes are more than adequate. If you would like, upgraded rotors/pads might help you stop a little quicker, but that's about it. My stockers sucked in the rain, so it might be worth the effort if your rain stopping sucks.

1. K04s require a fueling upgrade and upgraded fuel pump, which is somewhere over $1500 total.

2. You'll also have to upgrade your chip to run them, which depends on what fueling kit you get. ASP/AWE/EPL/VAST/WMS all have good options.

3. As for exhaust, I'd suggest piggie downpipes or full downpipes. Piggies are like $200 plus install and full downpipes are $1500 plus install. A higher flowing catback will also help, and these are anywhere from $600 to $1000.

4. I didn't see intercoolers on your list; these are a necessity at the K04s higher boost levels. You can use stockers, but expect massive heat soak. Intercooler setups can run you anywhere from $700 to $1500 or more for specific setups.

5. Suspension - just do it, you'll love it. Do lots of research on this one.
PS None of the numbers above include labor.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's APR. Everything costs more there.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

LOL.. Ihave the APR STG3 And stock every thing else ,,, Itll be ok ..
Old 02-23-2008, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: boy is that shop smelling $$...

I found a brake upgrade became important at highway speeds when abrupt stops were required

The fronts are all you need to worry about. On my B5 S4 I went w cross drilled, slotted zimmer rotors and pads. Not that expensive and it helped. Sway bars and konis were quite noticable....

With my several APR chips, they would always fix, upgrade or stay behind it....