timing belt cam align with crank??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt cam align with crank??

So when i rotate the engine to TDC on the crank. ( havent put pin in yet) the cam locking bar cannot be installed. I need to rotate the crank about 4 degrees to get the cam locking bar on. ????? Should i just adjust the cam and instal the bar then take the belt off and move the crank back and then install pin?

car ran fine but the timing does not like up.

thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

No. What you should do is get the crank to the point that you can install the crank lock, and then loosen the sprockets on the cams and then use the cam bar to move one of the cams so that they both line up and the bar can be installed. Then slowly compress the hydraulic tensioner, and after is it compressed apply 15Nm of force to get the correct tension on the timing belt. Then bolt the cam sprockets back down to (I think) 55Nm. Then your timing will be set correctly.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do EXACTLY what james said....same thing happened to me. However, before you apply the 15NM to the belt, you're supposed to release the tensioner.... not compress it. Then, after you rotate the crank, the mark on the crank will not be in the same place as it was when you bolted on the harmonic balancer...at least it wasn't for me....no matter how many times I tried. It was always a degree or two clockwise. Car seems to run fine now. One more thing.....after loosening cam sprockets, make sure they DO NOT WOBBLE AT ALL!!!! Leave them tightened down enough as to where they won't tilt or wobble and at the same time they can be turned with a little force. I put mine all back to together and the cam sprockets were wobbling bad because I didn't do this. Good Luck.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thankful to find this thread! I lined my cams up perfectly and they continued to be way off @ TDC. I tried to line them up by moving the belt one tooth tighter on the passengers side with no luck. I was so Frustrated! I found this thread, loosened the sprockets with the cam bar in place, crank lock and them removed the timing belt from the passengers side. Then, I moved the sprocket clockwise so the cams were lined up perfectly and then snugged the sprockets down, then put the belt on. I then tightened the sprockets, released the tension on the timing belt, rotated it 2 full turns, actually 4. The cam bar took a little wiggling but everything was where it is supposed to be....finally!