A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

cross bars-cause of noise 2017/2018

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cross bars-cause of noise 2017/2018

Looking to purchase A-4 AllRoad this year. Would like to add cross bars for asthetic reasons only. I have seen old posts about them causing noise issues. Anyone with a recent model dealing with this? Or..do the cross bars NOT cause any noticeable sounds to you
Old 09-27-2017, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by austinnative
Looking to purchase A-4 AllRoad this year. Would like to add cross bars for asthetic reasons only. I have seen old posts about them causing noise issues. Anyone with a recent model dealing with this? Or..do the cross bars NOT cause any noticeable sounds to you
Whispbars are the quietest.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Rdp
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by archrenov8
Whispbars are the quietest.
I tried Whispbars on my 2017 Allroad. They don't fit, meaning, the sunroof will hit the crossbar. Also, with a Whispbar skirack on them. the bindings of an adult ski will touch the roof. I informed Yakima but on the website they still list the Whispbars to fit the allroad. Even worse, I just saw a great sale today on ORSRACK.com for Whispbars, almost 50% off.
The bars by themselves are a great product. I have them on a Ford Flex. Don't notice any noise and it is easy to mount attachments. The T-slot is quite deep so you can just compress the rubber strip in it and slide the t-bolts in.
I just bought a pair of Malone crossbars to evaluate them. They look OK and are raised up a few inches. The problem is that the the t-slot is really shallow. The only way to mount anything is to take the rubber strip out, cut it in pieces and try to put it back again once you have mounted whatever accessory. That's not easy because the strip doesn't slide easily in and out.
It's a problem. The Thule aeroblade could fit (I think someone on this forum reported having these). The manual shows you must do the same thing with the rubber strip but at lease that strip looks easier to install, you just press it in from the top. Alas, Thule charges and arm and leg. Same with Audi.
Not sure if anyone tried anything else.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdp
I tried Whispbars on my 2017 Allroad. They don't fit, meaning, the sunroof will hit the crossbar. Also, with a Whispbar skirack on them. the bindings of an adult ski will touch the roof. I informed Yakima but on the website they still list the Whispbars to fit the allroad. Even worse, I just saw a great sale today on ORSRACK.com for Whispbars, almost 50% off.
The bars by themselves are a great product. I have them on a Ford Flex. Don't notice any noise and it is easy to mount attachments. The T-slot is quite deep so you can just compress the rubber strip in it and slide the t-bolts in.
I just bought a pair of Malone crossbars to evaluate them. They look OK and are raised up a few inches. The problem is that the the t-slot is really shallow. The only way to mount anything is to take the rubber strip out, cut it in pieces and try to put it back again once you have mounted whatever accessory. That's not easy because the strip doesn't slide easily in and out.
It's a problem. The Thule aeroblade could fit (I think someone on this forum reported having these). The manual shows you must do the same thing with the rubber strip but at lease that strip looks easier to install, you just press it in from the top. Alas, Thule charges and arm and leg. Same with Audi.
this washe case with whisp bars on my TDI Sportwagen as well (sunroof clearance). However, there are ways around this issue depending on your bar needs and uses. I made my whisp bars clear my sunroof by using some of those 3m picture frame bumpers under the bar/cross bars mount points to raise the bars slightly so that sunroof clearance works. Also mounting them a bit further back helps as well. Some pix of the bars on my Sportwagen. Like I said, might not work for everyone’s needs but they can work in theory. I plan on purchasing another set that will fit the Allroad once it arrives as I love my whips bars and they never come off my wagen seeing as they’re silent. Also, bike rack was mounted backwards to get rear hatch clearance.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by austinnative
Thule makes an aero bar. The Edge system. Here... Although these are the lower Allroad versions. search B8 A4 avant for the other kind. I'll try to get some pictures of mine soon.

I had it on my B8 A4 avant and now use the same rack on the B9 Allroad (Even though it doesn't list them as fitting) The reason is, the B9 has elevated bars so they want to put a strap under the bar so it's more secure I suppose. Mine has zero clearance issues and seemed quiet when I drove with just the bars. That said, my box goes on pretty much at the same time as the bars.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdp
I use Whispbars with the thru-bar mounting, which brings it in above the roof rails, and should solve your problem.
I just took them off for the winter, so I cannot take a picture (I use them fore kayaks and bikes).