A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Got rid of OEM tires - what an upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got rid of OEM tires - what an upgrade

So as I've mentioned in other threads, I was planning on replacing the OEM Contis with something more befitting an Audi. Made the plunge last week and installed the UHP Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, which are the top picks for UHP all seasons at Consumer Reports and other sites that test tires. Wow. Steering response is so much sharper. Overall handling and grip is significantly better. Improved braking performance too. It's a big upgrade and instills confidence through twisties and hairpins. Also very good in wet weather.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

They are phenomenal tires. I started with the Pilot Super Sports on mine, and then switched to the new Pilot Sport 4S. I don't want All Season, but if I did, the A/S 3+ would be my choice. Michelin has the best rubber on the road right now.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotland
So as I've mentioned in other threads, I was planning on replacing the OEM Contis with something more befitting an Audi. Made the plunge last week and installed the UHP Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, which are the top picks for UHP all seasons at Consumer Reports and other sites that test tires. Wow. Steering response is so much sharper. Overall handling and grip is significantly better. Improved braking performance too. It's a big upgrade and instills confidence through twisties and hairpins. Also very good in wet weather.
I was wondering when you would post. Did you keep your rims? Did you also consider the UHP Pirelli's? Any louder than the OEM's.

Last edited by bob m; 06-05-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
I was wondering when you would post. Did you keep your rims? Did you also consider the UHP Pirelli's? Any louder than the OEM's.
Hi Bob - yes, kept the rims, still on 18". I did consider the Pirelli's and the Conti DWS06's which I've previously had but the Michelin's are generally considered the best. But all three are good tires with the Michelin's being the most performance oriented. I haven't found the Michelin louder than the OEM's, although some say that is the case. It is a bit lower profile overall.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hi Bob - yes, kept the rims, still on 18". I did consider the Pirelli's and the Conti DWS06's which I've previously had but the Michelin's are generally considered the best. But all three are good tires with the Michelin's being the most performance oriented. I haven't found the Michelin louder than the OEM's, although some say that is the case. It is a bit lower profile overall.
Thanks. How many miles on the OEM's? Did you just give take a total loss on them or sold them? Concerned about potholes and such? Did you consider the regular Michelin AS tires also, perhaps being more "practical" the UHP tires/ Sorry for the questions being peppered at you, but I am considering replacing the tires also.It's just a shame that better tires are not standard.

Last edited by bob m; 06-06-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. How many miles on the OEM's? Did you just give take a total loss on them or sold them? Concerned about potholes and such? Did you consider the regular Michelin AS tires also, perhaps being more "practical" the UHP tires/ Sorry for the questions being peppered at you, but I am considering replacing the tires also.It's just a shame that better tires are not standard.
Only 3,000 miles on OEMs - took loss on them, did not resell. I have had lower profile tires before and am not concerned about potholes. I'm more concerned about the floaty, skittish performance of the OEM tires exiting off-ramps, merging with traffic. I found the Conti tires seemed to sometimes almost skip across pavement rather than tenaciously grip them like my new tires do. I didn't consider the regular Michelins as I was trying to basically get a new tire and performance mod all in one package... and that's basically where I ended up... it kind of feels like I also swapped out the sway bars.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I didn't consider the regular Michelins as I was trying to basically get a new tire and performance mod all in one package... and that's basically where I ended up... it kind of feels like I also swapped out the sway bars.
Aha. Your last statement - are you saying this is a kinda similar a performance upgrade as the sway bars? That's pretty impressive.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only 3,000 miles on OEMs - took loss on them, did not resell. I have had lower profile tires before and am not concerned about potholes. I'm more concerned about the floaty, skittish performance of the OEM tires exiting off-ramps, merging with traffic. I found the Conti tires seemed to sometimes almost skip across pavement rather than tenaciously grip them like my new tires do. I didn't consider the regular Michelins as I was trying to basically get a new tire and performance mod all in one package... and that's basically where I ended up... it kind of feels like I also swapped out the sway bars.
I'm convinced that the floaty-ness comes from the stock Allroad suspension and not the tires. I hate the suspension on the Allroad and I'll have my E04 springs installed with 19 x 9 OEM "blades" and 255/40 19's with Michelin as soon as the wheels come in (OEM refreshed, not new).
Old 06-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Aha. Your last statement - are you saying this is a kinda similar a performance upgrade as the sway bars? That's pretty impressive.
Kinda saying that - maybe a bit of an exaggeration but it is a very noticeable upgrade with similar improvements in handling while maintaining stock ride and comfort.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Kinda saying that - maybe a bit of an exaggeration but it is a very noticeable upgrade with similar improvements in handling while maintaining stock ride and comfort.
Thanks - giving serious consideration to swapping them out also - either the Michelin AS or maybe the UHP AS.

Quick Reply: Got rid of OEM tires - what an upgrade