A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Valentine One hardwire

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Valentine One hardwire

Any suggestions for a good switched power source?

I prefer to use a fuse tap, rather than V1's wiring harness connector

Thanks
Old 02-28-2019, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

This is the walkthrough I followed and had my V1 installed the day after I took delivery.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/2018-a5-sportback-hardwire-radar-detector-2932679/#post25039165

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/radar-detector-hardwire-diy-2906758/

It will take some effort tucking the cable at the top of the headliner where the A-pillar joins together due to the very tight tolerances, but you can massage it into place so the wires are not seen. Be prepared to have bleeding fingernails if you do not have a plastic pry tool.

Additional effort was made to tap into the fusebox located behind the dead pedal. The actual fuses are tucked down in between plastic columns, and you will have to force the fuse tap wiring in between the columns and quickly reinstall the dead pedal for it to stay in place. You will see what I mean when you take the dead pedal cover off. Before tidying everything up, make sure the detector powers on.

I am usually able to hardwire my V1 in any other vehicle in less than 10 minutes. The Audis generally take me some extra effort because of the tight tolerances.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks.

So did you use the Homelink fuse location to buddy in?
Old 03-03-2019, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by veloAR
Thanks.

So did you use the Homelink fuse location to buddy in?
Honestly, I do not recall.

I think so, but I found that the other fuses near the bottom were also non-essential and easier to tuck the wiring so I may have used one of those instead.

You want to make sure the fuse tap is something that is only on ignition on and non-critical (e.g. HomeLink or seat warmers).
Old 03-05-2019, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Daaavid
Honestly, I do not recall.

I think so, but I found that the other fuses near the bottom were also non-essential and easier to tuck the wiring so I may have used one of those instead.

You want to make sure the fuse tap is something that is only on ignition on and non-critical (e.g. HomeLink or seat warmers).
Lol, this winter, those seat warmers are pretty critical
Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You can tap into ignition switched power from the fuse box left of the dash. As the V1 has an in-line fuse there is no need to buddy off another circuit, probe around and you will find switched power. You will need this to keep the V1 from going nuts during engine restarts- BOB V1 Radar Detector Option | Valentine One | Radar Detectors. The A-pillar cover comes off easily, but if you are hesitant to remove it you can pull the weather stripping and tuck the wiring in from behind. Another alternative is using a mirror tap- https://www.blendmount.com/mirrortap.html
Old 03-13-2019, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by breadbooze
You can tap into ignition switched power from the fuse box left of the dash. As the V1 has an in-line fuse there is no need to buddy off another circuit, probe around and you will find switched power. You will need this to keep the V1 from going nuts during engine restarts- BOB V1 Radar Detector Option | Valentine One | Radar Detectors. The A-pillar cover comes off easily, but if you are hesitant to remove it you can pull the weather stripping and tuck the wiring in from behind. Another alternative is using a mirror tap- https://www.blendmount.com/mirrortap.html
What do you use to tap into the box? An add-a-fuse tap, just without the buddy fuse?
Old 03-13-2019, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by veloAR
What do you use to tap into the box? An add-a-fuse tap, just without the buddy fuse?
The add-a-fuse won't clear the space there, I crimped a small male spade connector the size of the fuse blade and plugged that in.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

Curious why everyone is running a wire all the way down the windshield when you can tap into the rear view mirror...? Am I missing something?

https://store.blendmount.com/mobile/mirrortap-1000-series-080-tap-radar-detector-power-cord-with-inline-fuse-15-long-p1524.aspx