A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Whistle sound at low speeds on 2017 Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by breadbooze
It's the DSG oil pump priming the accumulator. You can verify this by monitoring the oil reservoir charging status under live data in the transmission module using a vag-com tool.
Very interesting! Do you have any idea what conditions will make it happen more? Is it cold weather related, or did I just completely miss it happening all the time during the first few months I owned the car?
Old 04-03-2018, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same noise but doesn't bother me HOWEVER, I do have these random "popping, crackling" noises coming from the passenger side window/door or roof area when driving. Sounds like interior door/wall panels is contracting/expanding due to climate or not securely fastened? Does anyone else have this issue? Really annoying.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by breadbooze
It's the DSG oil pump priming the accumulator. You can verify this by monitoring the oil reservoir charging status under live data in the transmission module using a vag-com tool.
Is this thought to be a problem or do we just live with it? I don't recall hearing it for the first 3 months I owned the car, but again, maybe it was there just muted as the temperature was much higher?

If monitoring with VCDS, I would expect to see the voltage increase when I hear that noise presumably?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LA4091
Same noise but doesn't bother me HOWEVER, I do have these random "popping, crackling" noises coming from the passenger side window/door or roof area when driving. Sounds like interior door/wall panels is contracting/expanding due to climate or not securely fastened? Does anyone else have this issue? Really annoying.

Same here! As this being my first Audi I really didn't expect it to pop and crack so much. I brought my 2018 Premium Plus into the dealer 3 times already, they found panel loose on passenger side door, and an interior panel on D pillar misaligned. The dealer insists the rest of the popping and cracking is "normal" so I guess I just have to live with it.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pbrown
Very interesting! Do you have any idea what conditions will make it happen more? Is it cold weather related, or did I just completely miss it happening all the time during the first few months I owned the car?
It's a function of the new DSG transmission Audi is using on the MLBs. From what I understand the pump cycles on and off, the condition being the accumulator pressure is kept around ~27 bar/400 psi. Because DSG fluid expands as it heats up the pump should run more often when it's cold and less often as the fluid warms up, however the accumulator also discharges as the transmission shifts gears/works the clutches so that can also affect how often the pump needs to come on.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn St. Denis
Is this thought to be a problem or do we just live with it? I don't recall hearing it for the first 3 months I owned the car, but again, maybe it was there just muted as the temperature was much higher?

If monitoring with VCDS, I would expect to see the voltage increase when I hear that noise presumably?
If it's loud enough to be a concern then I think Audi should do something about it. Of the two allroads I have access to the one I drive the most doesn't make the sound, but the other one does but is barely noticeable.

I use OBD11 and it shows "charging" when the sound comes on.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same thing here with my 2017 A4 Premium Plus Quattro. Amazed that I could actually here it at my young age Tech at the dealership must have thought I was crazy because he couldn't hear it at all. Definitely think Audi should remedy this while under warranty. Any status updates much appreciated and glad to know that I am not alone.

Best,

Dtownav8tor
Old 05-01-2018, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dtownav8tor
Same thing here with my 2017 A4 Premium Plus Quattro. Amazed that I could actually here it at my young age Tech at the dealership must have thought I was crazy because he couldn't hear it at all. Definitely think Audi should remedy this while under warranty. Any status updates much appreciated and glad to know that I am not alone.

Best,

Dtownav8tor
Hi all

Regarding this noise.....There is a long thread about it here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2914541/page7/

I had this noise as well, and after several attempts with the service agent I finally got it fixed! Please see the above thread, (there is some information and misinformation) but if you listen to the videos and audio files I posted you will see that we are talking about the same noise... and my very last entry with the solution that worked for me here in Australia. There is a software update. My B9 is now completely noise free on the down shifts and I don't need the music on at all Hope this is of some help to anyone with this annoying noise.

Kind regards
avss01
Old 06-11-2018, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by avss01
Hi all

Regarding this noise.....There is a long thread about it here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2914541/page7/

I had this noise as well, and after several attempts with the service agent I finally got it fixed! Please see the above thread, (there is some information and misinformation) but if you listen to the videos and audio files I posted you will see that we are talking about the same noise... and my very last entry with the solution that worked for me here in Australia. There is a software update. My B9 is now completely noise free on the down shifts and I don't need the music on at all Hope this is of some help to anyone with this annoying noise.

Kind regards
avss01
sent a pm to you for some hopeful direction!

my sound
Old 06-12-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To update where i'm at... my sound is different from the one @mykohph and @avss01 in the other post have mentioned. It is exactly the one that @StuartWes posted in the other post.

I talked to my dealer at the 10k service but they couldn't replicate it. They asked me to catch it on video, which I have done and sent to them. Waiting for a reply to them.

The video I made is here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pTGahcCoEE1B9pHr7

The noise really starts up about 1:40 in. Sorry in advance if you watch for having to look at my ugly gams... just wanted to get my phone close to the floor for optimum pickup.

Quick Reply: Whistle sound at low speeds on 2017 Premium Plus