A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avss01
You're welcome. I hope you have better luck getting to the bottom of it than I did. I assume your noise is similar to mine?? Please report back if you have any success getting it sorted.

Regards
avss01
Hi all (if anyone is still following this thread) or has happened upon it because your Audi makes the same noise when the transmission is down and up shifting in the low gears. Well my car is finally fixed! It took a couple of goes but I am there. The first time my service agent could hear the noise and acknowledge it but were not able to pin it down. What they did do was a mechatronics reset for the DSG. This did not remove the noise and actually made the low shifts a bit more 'clunky' if anything. I thought it would re-learn the shifts over a period and would smooth itself out. It didn't really do that so I had a rougher low gear change and the noise was as loud as ever...arghhhh.

So, I returned the car some weeks later (19/03/2018) and informed the agent (who have been very helpful and understanding) that things were unchanged. At this service, these things were done:-
  1. Read fault memory...no faults found
  2. Later software version available for transmission
  3. Performed software update
  4. Performed basic setting of software update
  5. Performed basic setting of cooling valve in transmission as required (I think this one was it)
  6. Road tested vehicle
  7. Transmission operating normally
  8. Customer to monitor
Customer is very happy and I let them know that the noise is now gone!!! Not sure if this is of any help to forum members, but I just wanted to let you know that this is what solved my particular issue. The noise may have other causes but really I think it is just a noisy operation of a normal function as I know other Audis can do it. The car is now a pleasure to drive around town, and although still a bit clunky in the low gear shifts from first to second to first in traffic, I am prepared to put that down to the DSG (DCT) operation, but the noise is GONE!!!!

Hope this helps someone else.

Regards
avss01
Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi all (if anyone is still following this thread) or has happened upon it because your Audi makes the same noise when the transmission is down and up shifting in the low gears. Well my car is finally fixed! It took a couple of goes but I am there. The first time my service agent could hear the noise and acknowledge it but were not able to pin it down. What they did do was a mechatronics reset for the DSG. This did not remove the noise and actually made the low shifts a bit more 'clunky' if anything. I thought it would re-learn the shifts over a period and would smooth itself out. It didn't really do that so I had a rougher low gear change and the noise was as loud as ever...arghhhh.

So, I returned the car some weeks later (19/03/2018) and informed the agent (who have been very helpful and understanding) that things were unchanged. At this service, these things were done:-
  1. Read fault memory...no faults found
  2. Later software version available for transmission
  3. Performed software update
  4. Performed basic setting of software update
  5. Performed basic setting of cooling valve in transmission as required (I think this one was it)
  6. Road tested vehicle
  7. Transmission operating normally
  8. Customer to monitor
Customer is very happy and I let them know that the noise is now gone!!! Not sure if this is of any help to forum members, but I just wanted to let you know that this is what solved my particular issue. The noise may have other causes but really I think it is just a noisy operation of a normal function as I know other Audis can do it. The car is now a pleasure to drive around town, and although still a bit clunky in the low gear shifts from first to second to first in traffic, I am prepared to put that down to the DSG (DCT) operation, but the noise is GONE!!!!

Hope this helps someone else.

Regards
avss01
really appreciate this info. Do you have a software update number we can reference at the dealer?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Shawn
Unfortunately I don't have the actual software update number. It was not detailed on my work record. It just said "later software version available for transmission"....."performed software update". I can see if I can find out...I have got to know the Audi service manager quite well at my dealership. What I did ask him is what exactly was the software meant to address, and he admitted honestly that sometimes they are not told...just given the software and post-update adjustments. There really should be a revision list detailing what issue is being addressed so customers can decide if they actually want the update done or not as we all know that not all updates are for the better. I can say though that my car is still completely rid of this noise. I am sure if you mention the update, your dealer should be able to reference it.

If I can find a reference number I will post it here.

Cheers

avss01
Old 05-18-2018, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Shawn
Unfortunately I don't have the actual software update number. It was not detailed on my work record. It just said "later software version available for transmission"....."performed software update". I can see if I can find out...I have got to know the Audi service manager quite well at my dealership. What I did ask him is what exactly was the software meant to address, and he admitted honestly that sometimes they are not told...just given the software and post-update adjustments. There really should be a revision list detailing what issue is being addressed so customers can decide if they actually want the update done or not as we all know that not all updates are for the better. I can say though that my car is still completely rid of this noise. I am sure if you mention the update, your dealer should be able to reference it.

If I can find a reference number I will post it here.

Cheers

avss01
Awesome! really appreciated the detail.

Cheers,
Old 05-22-2018, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by StuartWes
Is this the sound you guys are hearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkHN2PN8WrE
I got this off youtube. I have this issue and it drives me CRAZY!!
YEP! thats the noise i have exactly. mine sometimes "sticks" on like that, usually its not so prolonged tho. drives me mental. dealer doesnt have an answer though I don't think im the first one to complain because they seemed to know what i was talking about.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone still having the issue as the op? I have the exact same sound as post #3.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here’s my sound btw

Old 10-24-2019, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mykohph

Anyone still having the issue as the op? I have the exact same sound as post #3.
Yes - anyone still following this thread?

It seems to have got sidetracked by other issues - I don't hear anything at higher speeds and my car is a Manual (2018 2.0 TFSi A3 Saloon) so nothing to do with the automatic gearbox.

My issue is just like the OP - a limited-time "hum" (not quite a whine, quite low frequency) which seems related to braking (but definitely not the brake discs themselves since it will continue past braking. Does seem to go silent when the car is stopped though.) - seems more noticeable at lower speeds and on shorter journeys (although those are the majority of the journeys I make around town). Sometimes it's quite loud, sometimes almost unnoticeable - sometimes nothing at all. It's not really awful but quite distracting when you have heard it, probably because it's a very specific frequency which never changes.

It may well be "normal" - I wouldn't relish trying to get a mechanic to notice it, and I wouldn't want the car to have to go undergo complex repairs to "fix" it. Mostly it drives great! But it would be reassuring to know what it actually is! I am encouraged that a few posters here have heard it in their cars...

Any ideas? Anyone had this diagnosed - or fixed? I'll probably get used to it and ignore it over time, but genuinely curious.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SteveW117
Yes - anyone still following this thread?

It seems to have got sidetracked by other issues - I don't hear anything at higher speeds and my car is a Manual (2018 2.0 TFSi A3 Saloon) so nothing to do with the automatic gearbox.

My issue is just like the OP - a limited-time "hum" (not quite a whine, quite low frequency) which seems related to braking (but definitely not the brake discs themselves since it will continue past braking. Does seem to go silent when the car is stopped though.) - seems more noticeable at lower speeds and on shorter journeys (although those are the majority of the journeys I make around town). Sometimes it's quite loud, sometimes almost unnoticeable - sometimes nothing at all. It's not really awful but quite distracting when you have heard it, probably because it's a very specific frequency which never changes.

It may well be "normal" - I wouldn't relish trying to get a mechanic to notice it, and I wouldn't want the car to have to go undergo complex repairs to "fix" it. Mostly it drives great! But it would be reassuring to know what it actually is! I am encouraged that a few posters here have heard it in their cars...

Any ideas? Anyone had this diagnosed - or fixed? I'll probably get used to it and ignore it over time, but genuinely curious.
Hi, I am also experience the exact same noise as OP.. To be clear its an electronic whining noise which is audible when I am about to come to a stop, it sounds more like a solenoid motor or piston moving. Audible for a 1 or 2 seconds and then stops. I can only hear it when slowing to stopping and not sure if it happens while I am driving as the ambient noise is high..

As one the members @avss01 mentioned, the problem was resolved after the following steps were done by the dealer:
  • Performed basic setting of cooling valve in transmission as required .
Would love to hear If anyone else got this fixed via a software update. Not sure if its a problem and if we should get it checked.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SPNY
Hi, I am also experience the exact same noise as OP.. To be clear its an electronic whining noise which is audible when I am about to come to a stop, it sounds more like a solenoid motor or piston moving. Audible for a 1 or 2 seconds and then stops. I can only hear it when slowing to stopping and not sure if it happens while I am driving as the ambient noise is high..

As one the members @avss01 mentioned, the problem was resolved after the following steps were done by the dealer:
  • Performed basic setting of cooling valve in transmission as required .
Would love to hear If anyone else got this fixed via a software update. Not sure if its a problem and if we should get it checked.
Thanks, Are you talking about this thread?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2942971/page2/

I am not sure whether avss01's issue is the same - he talks about being "completely noise free on the down shifts" - I don't think my issue (or the OP's) is anything to do with changing gears (or auto gearbox as other say - my car is Manual)...it seems related to braking at lower speeds, I often hear it when coming to a stop in traffic or at a junction in the morning. Although it also happens sometimes when rolling along - or is that just my imagination?? It's a weird one. My noise is at a lower pitch than some of the videos but the frequency is extremely constant. The pattern of it just starting and stopping is similar, it can be just a second or two or several seconds. It seems more frequent/noticeable at lower speeds near the start of journeys. Cold-related?

It is somewhat reassuring that others can hear it - and that it doesn't seem to be a real problem other than the slight annoyance. My car is under warranty for another year and I might raise it at my next service...

Quick Reply: Weird noise