A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

" BG performance synthetic transmission fluid meets or exceeds performnace specifications for

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 05:34 AM
Joey T

Default " BG performance synthetic transmission fluid meets or exceeds performnace specifications for

Audi and VW transmisisoinfluid part number..."

And goes on to list the part number on the face of the bottle of Audi ATF sitting in front of me.

So has anyone ever used it?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think Audi Junkie is the guy to ask about this Joey.

Seems to be the resident oil guru around here.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:51 AM
Joey T

Default He knows more about oil than I do about ex-wives. Which is an extensive, expensive bit o knowledge.

Looking for anyone who has actually used it.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No other formulator makes that claim.Anyway, it's still a word-play.Meeting"performance specs"is not

the same as meeting the spec. I'll look into it. If you read my previous post, you'll see how shady a company that BG is. BG is not offering a warranty to people who use their product in applications they "meet or exceed the performance specs" for, Valvoline does with their ATF. I am not aware that the "performance specs" are even published for LT71147. Possibly, there is a reverse engineering going on. Take the oem fluid, measure it's obvious physical characteristics, mostly the starting visc and coefficient of friction, and replicate them. Not rocket science. Simulating the actual parameters of the test sequence that oem fluid passes is another. That means such-n-such an number of hours sheared ar a certian frequency, load and temp. Seal compatibility tests as well as ASTM volitility too. For a company that can not even muster a lowly API spec for their motor oils and needs to PHYSICALLY switch brands of oil in their TFOUT tests with MOA, I'm seriously skeptical.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "Performance Specs" do not include endurance parameters like oxidization, volitility, visc stability

all performance specs include is 1)starting visc and 2)coefficient of friction, like I said. You could just use basic Dexron. Pour it in, it works, then oxidizes and volitizes ****ing up the trans and shears out of grade wearing parts.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Joey T

Default Danke. I can "borrow" the correct fluid from parts, so no worries...

Old 05-17-2006, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ...just doing the best analysis I can for AW Membership.

If I can add anything to the catagory of "performance specs", I would and welcome suggestions on that subject. However, it's clear that the caveat of "perfomance specs" is a ploy. Look at it this way, take a motor oil. It's performance specs are that it performs the function. It must be within a certian parameter of viscosity...that's about it. Now, will that oilpass the full test sequence of "endurance specs" like the ones I mentioned? A non-detergent 40 weight oil might "perform" like a VW 502 oil, but will it pass the long-life sequences? No. I saw this matter before with some fluid, I forget which one, but I know the scam when I see it.