A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

[Slight OT] Do not pass cops making traffic stops on the freeway fast

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Slight OT] Do not pass cops making traffic stops on the freeway fast

On the way to school this morning, I was cruising in a 60mph zone going 75mph on the most left lane. From my rear-view mirror, I see a Jeep Liberty approaching really fast from behind (~20 cars length), and just when I was about to get out of the Liberty's way, I see a cop (with lights flashing) on the left safety lane, apparently in the middle of a traffic stop. I hit the brakes and slowed down to about 65mph, but the Liberty behind me was still speeding up about 10 cars length behind (I can tell it is either speeding up still or not slowing down fast enough since it got a lot closer to me).

I figure that the driver of the Liberty probably thought the cop would not respond to him since the cop is in the middle of a traffic stop already. But I like to play safe so I quickly merged a coupled lanes over to the right, and I had to do that anyways since my ramp is approaching. The Liberty flies pass me right after I got out of the left lane, going about 85-90mph.

As I am about to get on the ramp, I see flashing lights behind, and I thought "oh f*ck, ticket...", but the cop passed me going REAL fast, and I believe he was going after the Liberty instead.

Anyhow, I don't know what you guys think. But I thought that it is pretty safe to pass a cop when he is making a traffic stop... but I guess some of them will come after you quickly if you are going way too fast. Oh, and Camaro police cruisers are freaking fast, don't mess with those.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't lock them up like most people do, but if I'm fast enough where I know I'd get a ticket...

I wouldn't pass a cop at that speed even if all of his tires were flat and the car was on fire. He still has a radio
Old 07-19-2005, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Fairly new law in Texas which requires you to slow to 20 mph below the speed limit OR

move over one lane from the lane adjacent to traffic stops. Apparantly there were too many cops getting clipped by passer bys.

A coworker got popped for it a few weeks after it went into effect.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default what state are you in?

here in texas they recently passed law that says you have to slow down to half the speed limit when passing an "emergency vehicle" on the side of the road, or drive in the left lane.

no one knew about it until cities started seting up traps just to get people on it.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Never pass a cop on highway. My friend got a ticket for that....

the cop was cruising at 65MPH, my friend was slowly passing him, the cop turned on his flashing light, pulled him over and asked him "Did you see me?". Then promply wrote him a ticket for 68MPH
Old 07-19-2005, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default in NJ the cops angle their cars out and usually come around to the passenger side...

Most people are careful though. I move over a lane if possible or get as far to the opposite side if not. I'm not one of the idiots who jams on the brakes as soon as I see a traffic stop, but I definitely lift off.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Well, you never pass a moving cop. They are pace cars
Old 07-19-2005, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

not only does he have a radio but alot of friends on the other end of the radio..
Old 07-19-2005, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same here, my friend got a ticket for passing a cop on the highway.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:49 AM
FAQ Author

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default there was an ambulance dui check on rt 18 near the staybridge suites on sat night around midnight

doing dui checks.. that was a nice cover for them

Quick Reply: [Slight OT] Do not pass cops making traffic stops on the freeway fast