A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

2 minor gripes...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-1999, 01:09 PM
Seth Meyers

Default 2 minor gripes...any ideas?

In the 18 months I have owned my A4 Avant Qtip, here are the only 2 things which have stymied me:<p>1. The recirculate setting is tied to the AC compressor setting. In the winter, I can't turn recirc on in the tunnel, so I just eat fumes. Is there no clever re-programming trick for this?<p>2. There is no tie-down point on the rear door. Really! There is no way to tie something to attach a bungee cord or anything. Any modificaiton ideas out there (for the mechanically ungifted?)
Old 04-12-1999, 01:39 PM
Tony

Default Re: 2 minor gripes...any ideas?

Try turning on the front windshield defroster first.
Old 04-12-1999, 01:42 PM
markbradford

Default Can't you just turn the heat up with the AC on? (more)

In my Honda, during the winter, when the windows fog up, I just turn on the AC and leave the temperature set to hot. It justs blasts hot, dry air.
Old 04-12-1999, 02:22 PM
Klidge

Not with an A4. Below a certain temp, the a/c will not turn on. God knows why the a/c has to be on in order to recirculate air.
Old 04-12-1999, 02:42 PM
SammyD

This has been on the forum since Day 1 - it's U.S. lawyers and threat of fogged windows liability
Old 04-12-1999, 03:45 PM
markbradford

I don't get it - the A/C eliminates the humidity - so how could this produce lawsuits? nosebleeds?
Old 04-12-1999, 04:49 PM
Bill Shaffer

Hold fan speed button in til lowest speed,release,hit it again,seems to stop all air
Old 04-12-1999, 05:10 PM
Andy Hedin

Default It's not a law issue...it's a design issue...

Something about the A/C evaporator will freeze up in the really cold weather which I guess would wreck it or cause some other problem. Not sure why this is a problem on an Audi and not on say a Honda. But I would tend to trust the German engineers who designed the car...there must be a valid reason.<p>Andy Hedin
Old 04-12-1999, 06:02 PM
markbradford

Default How could the evaporator freeze up with hot air blowing through it? (more)

I think any system designer would be safe in assuming that drivers won't blow cold air through the system when outside temperatures are THAT low. Idiot proof can only go so far. Look at auto transmission selectors, if you push them forward while driving there's a reverse/park lockout. If you're stupid enough to do it while holding the release button then there's no way any amount of engineering's going to save your ***. <br>2cents<br>:-)
Old 04-12-1999, 06:24 PM
Andy Hedin

Default Re: How could the evaporator freeze up with hot air blowing through it? (more)

Mark...I appologize for my lack of knowledge in the whole A/C area...I was just trying to pass on that it isn't so much a "law" issue, but rather some sort of mechanical reason why Audi chose not to allow the A/C (and thus the recirculate) to work below a certain temp.<p>I pobably should have just kept my mouth shut and waited for someone more knowledgeable to step up and post a valid response. Anyway, thanks for the clarification/thoughts.<p>Andy Hedin

Quick Reply: 2 minor gripes...any ideas?