A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

'97 Audi A4 vs '99 Passat vs '99 Jetta VR6

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-1999, 07:23 PM
Larry

Default '97 Audi A4 vs '99 Passat vs '99 Jetta VR6

I am currently in the market for a car. What is the best bang for the buck?<br>Contenders: '97 Auid A4 Quattro 1.8T - Auto ( no tip ), sunroof and sports pak. '99 Passat 1.8T - Tip base nothing else, '99 Jetta VR6 auto. Each car has its merits and are priced the same. I am looking to keep the car for 3 yrs then trade-in. Looking for a fun ride - not crazy. What are your thoughts???
Old 05-15-1999, 07:30 PM
love my A4

Default A4.ORG

sorry, I've never driven the new Jetta or Passat, but I love my A4
Old 05-15-1999, 07:55 PM
Mike

Default Jetta GLX... lot of features not a lot of bucks

nt
Old 05-15-1999, 07:59 PM
ChuckH

Default I'm going to get in trouble, but I'd go with the Jetta VR6, but only...

...because you seem to be bent on getting an automatic transmission. THe 1.8T and automatic don't work well together unless you raise the performance of the engine, and even then it's probably not going to be as exhilirating as the VR6 combo. Both the VW's will be covered under warranty while you own the car, as well. If you wanted a manual transmisison, my vote would sway to the A4. :-) Let us know what you decide! :-)<p>Charles<br>
Old 05-15-1999, 09:28 PM
Josh

Default From an owner of 2 of the 3...

Jetta VR6 is fun, but lacks a sporty feel (the driver's seat, for example, is very high, feeling like a made-for-those-looking-for-a-RAV4). It corners okay, the steering is very heavy, and the tires suck *** (Goodyear Eagle LS). It's definitely aimed for women looking for acceleration, safety and style.<p>A4 is classy, sporty, and luxurious. Wood, leather, etc. aside, the A4 is a far superior car to the others. It is solid, drives like a real sports car, and has all the components of a classic sedan. Downsides are the brakes, costs after 50K miles, and random squeaks and rattles that a 2 year old car will develop.<p>-josh<br>98.5 A4 2.8qms<br>99 New Jetta GLS VR6
Old 05-16-1999, 04:44 AM
Larry

Default Re: I'm going to get in trouble, but I'd go with the Jetta VR6, but only...

one week and counting,,,,<br>Charles - I agree with you on both counts - if I go with A4 its because its one sexy car. However, you have to admit the Jetta VR6 is very potent and fun to drive - that's the danger I am quite certain I am going to rack up some derit pts with that baby!!! No comment on the Passat? - Its based on the same platform as the A4.
Old 05-16-1999, 04:58 AM
Larry

Default Re: From an owner of 2 of the 3...

Good comments!<br>...however Jetta VR6 for women! Regular Jettas yes - I do not know anyone women that own VR6s - women tend to go for other options like cabriolet. Its actually also for poor punks like me that have to save money or zit faced teenagers who pour all their money on a fun set of wheels. The Audi interests me alot because even though its a two year car - I want to see want are its problems. On the bright side if my 2-3 yr test drive turns out I'll buy 2001 S4. If if doesn't its BMW baby. Thanks again.
Old 05-16-1999, 05:26 AM
BDW

Default Re: '97 Audi A4 vs '99 Passat vs '99 Jetta VR6

<br>If you have to get an automatic, I say go with the Jetta and the V6. If you could get a manual, I say get the Passat (even $1,200 less!), get the new car warranty and two years free service. A4's are great (I love mine) but a '97 vs. a brand new Passat with warranty? <p>Reason I say Jetta with automatic is because I think the 1.8T engine loses it's luster without a stick, unless you plan to chip it.<p>Good luck.<p>BDW '99 1.8Tqms
Old 05-16-1999, 12:50 PM
ChuckH

Default I like the Passat a lot, but just like the A4, the 1.8T and Tip are a bit of a letdown. Also,...

...you said you wanted something sporty and fun to drive. The Passat is pretty soft and comfy, but not exactly sporty ny any stretch of the imagination. A Passat with a V6 would be nice though, but I think that takes you beyond your price point. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Something I did forget to mention is that the VR6 does get terrible gas mileage, comparitively speaking. A friend of mine has one, and gets around 20 MPG average (17 city/24 highway?), where the 1.8T is around 25 average, I think. But, that VR6 is pretty fun! :-)<p>Charles<br>
Old 05-16-1999, 12:59 PM
Gen

Default as a female 9 yr. Jetta owner and now 99.5 2.8QMS Audi, I WOULD of bought the VR6 had I the money at the time! This time went for total power...nt

.<br>

Quick Reply: '97 Audi A4 vs '99 Passat vs '99 Jetta VR6