A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 Avant vs. Subaru Outback LTD

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2000, 12:07 PM
Bryan

Default A4 Avant vs. Subaru Outback LTD

Looking at these two cars. The Subaru I can buy at invoice and the Audi dealer by me want MSRP.

What are people paying for and A4 Avant with the auto? I leave in Eastern PA.

Thanks, Bryan
Old 01-03-2000, 12:18 PM
anne

Default I recently got a 1.8T avant (manual) for about 6.65% over invoice. Should not have to pay more than

that, and certainly not MSRP. Walk away. There are other dealerships. Mention to them that you know people who got 5-6% over invoice. With the Avant, you probably won't be able to get as good a deal as you would with the sedan because they aren't making nearly as many of them.
Good luck!
Happy hunting!
-Anne
Cactus Green '00 1.8TQMSX Avant (with convenience & cold weather packages also)
Old 01-03-2000, 12:32 PM
Joe

Default Oh my GOD! Don't do it. Spend extra $$$ I had both (more)

I had a 1991 80 Quattro that I loved to death but once it was out of warranty it was not as appealing. Like an idiot, I decide to trade it in on an Outback wagon assuming that all all wheel drive cars are the same. BIG mistake. Immediately I was depressed not only at how sloppy it was handling wise but also it was just ...just...cheesy. Even the Limited was crappy plastic and vinyl. Hated it so much that I sold it to my little sister (you know how gullible they are). Just got done with a 3 year Land Rover lease and was wondering if it was going to be a step down going to Avant. NOT AT ALL. Better than I remembered! Handles like a dream. Outback blows! (my sister hated it too! got rid of it after about 8 months)
Old 01-03-2000, 12:32 PM
Paco

Default Look for a 99.5, should be able to get it at/below invoice...

Otherwise, plan on waiting months for an '00, regardless of what your dealer says. You may get lucky and find one you like that was someone else's messed up order. Thankfully that happened to us. We ordered an '00 in June, given a promise of late Sept...early Oct... late Oct. The actual build date was Thanksgiving week, so we wouldn't have seen the car until now. Hey, call Len Stohler in Baltimore, they may have a Cactus green avant 1.8T with sunroof,cd,bose,tiptronic, and sport package...
Old 01-03-2000, 12:40 PM
merlin

Default Re: A4 Avant vs. Subaru Outback LTD

Try Don Rosen Porsche/Audi in Norristown, ask for Hiroshi. I've found them to be a fair and competent dealership.

merlin
Old 01-03-2000, 01:01 PM
Cat

Default A4 Avant 2.8 at Invoice

I just bought a '00 A4 Avant 2.8 Tip at invoice at Don McGill in Houston. I had negotiated $1,000 over invoice on a 1.8 that had to be shipped from Michigan, but I decided to go for the 2.8 at invoice on the lot.

Until I saw the Avant, I was looking at the loaded Legacy Outback or the Forester (which does not come with a sunroof). I test drove both, but thought the quality was a little cheap (didn't feel solid like the A4) and the handling wasn't so great. After a few weeks with my Avant, I'm extremely pleased with my decision.

-Cat
'00 A4 Avant 2.8QS Tip
Old 01-03-2000, 01:15 PM
Jack Martin

Default Re: A4 Avant vs. Subaru Outback LTD

As a former (converted?) Outback driver, I'd agree with the consensus --- the A4 Avant is more fun to drive, is better built and has a lot nicer level of refinement. However, if you want to carry a lot of stuff or real people in the back seat, it's not that bad an option. And it's a lot cheaper!

Don't know what you're calling "invoice", but I doubt any Subaru dealer is selling at his cost; but you should be able to find a hungry dealer who'd sell at $300 to $500 above dealer cost, after any rebate was taken off. (Wootten in Glen Burnie, Maryland, will typically deal down to a few hundred bucks over cost.)

Criswell Audi in Annapolis has an A4 Avant 2.8 on the lot; you should be able to buy that one for the standard plus-up on cost, but forget MSRP. If your local guys are going that route, take a two hour drive to the Baltimore/Washington area where there are about ten Audi dealers!

Good luck.

Jack Martin
99.5 A4 1.8 Avant TQMS, 82 4KSD ... and the Outback wasn't so bad, either
Old 01-03-2000, 01:21 PM
Al N.

Default My parents bought the Subaru, we bought the A4...

and that's a good example of the difference between the two cars. My wife and I are about 30 years old and we wanted a stylish, more hip car under $30K. My parents are nearing 60 and they wanted a solid car for closer to $20K.

We considered buying a Subaru, then we came to our senses. Not to stereotype, but look at who drives them mostly -- granola-types and older people. Look who drives A4s. Forget about saving a few dollars and go with your heart.
Old 01-03-2000, 01:23 PM
Al N.

Default My parents bought the Subaru, we bought the A4...

and that's a good example of the difference between the two cars. My wife and I are about 30 years old and we wanted a stylish, more hip car under $30K. My parents are nearing 60 and they wanted a solid car for closer to $20K.

We considered buying a Subaru, then we came to our senses. Not to stereotype, but look at who drives them mostly -- granola-types and older people. Look who drives A4s. Forget about saving a few dollars and go with your heart.

Holbert's in Warrington PA (south of Doylestown) is where we bought -- from Wayne Maier, who's a straight shooting, no pressure guy.
Old 01-03-2000, 01:34 PM
Adam S

Default Test drove the Outback Ltd., bought the 1.8t Avant instead at 4.5% over invoice.

I was not impressed with the MY2000 Subaru Outback Ltd. I found a lot not to like about the Subaru, including very uncomfortable leather seats which I slid around in. The 99.5 Avant 1.8tq-tip cost me about the same as the Outback Ltd. The A4 Avant is a just a much nicer vehicle, IMO.

Quick Reply: A4 Avant vs. Subaru Outback LTD