A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 Control Arm problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-1999, 03:10 PM
Kass

Default A4 Control Arm problem

I have a 1996 A4 Quattro with 47K miles on it. I bought it used with 27K on it, and have already had to replace both rear wheel bearings and just found out that both front control arms are bad. The dealer wants approx. $1000 to fix. Of course the 3 year warranty period is up. Anyway, it just strikes me as strange that a car with so few miles should have these problems. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 09-09-1999, 03:23 PM
kiho

Default Re: A4 Control Arm problem

i had my car for 2months and had the control arms replaced...check the archives...seems like a problem we all face.
Old 09-09-1999, 03:27 PM
Stephen/APR

Default A4 Control Arm problem-this is a problem with many of the A4 front control arms-(MORE)

APR's R&D 1.8TQ has 42000 miles on it and all the control arms are completely worn out. This is a problem that is showing up on these cars between 40k and 60k. The real kicker is how expensive the parts are to replace the bad items. The parts have been superceded at least 5 times. Lets hope that a solution will trickle down from Audi. Hope everyone has good luck in dealing with this problem.

Stephen/APR
Old 09-09-1999, 03:41 PM
pauls

Default A4 Control Arm problem

I've had 2 replaced on my 98, the front and rear lower on the right side. The car had 19k miles on it when they were replaced. The shop manager said its common and as a side note suggested I have the left side replaced before the warrantee is out. I guess I could do that by claiming some problem that doesn't exist. My guess is that since you are just out of warrantee and AoA knows this problem exists you might get some relief if you make a whole lot of noise. It probably wouldn't hurt if you let them know your not in the dark about this and that you know plenty of others have had the problem. Mine were just made lots of creaking noises, but I hear they make clunking noises and pops too. So far I've only heard that they are defective in some fashion causing noise and not actually worn out. Perhaps someone else can add to this. Worn out at 19k miles just doesn't make sense.
P
Old 09-09-1999, 03:54 PM
Dmak

Default Squeeking front suspension.. Is this a Control Arm problem?

My 99 1.8T has started squeeking when I go over small bumps. Does this mean I have a control arm problem? Will it affect the car in anyway if I don't replace them right away?

Dmak 1.8TQMS
Old 09-09-1999, 04:35 PM
Rich

Default Is there anyone who has NOT had control arm problems on their A4 over 40k miles? (More)

Those of you who have had to replace them and pay for it or just happen to know how much they are.....how much are they? Labor?

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Old 09-09-1999, 04:55 PM
mike

Do the Passat 1.8T's have this problem too?
Old 09-09-1999, 05:02 PM
Paul Cormier

Default Mine squeaks too, very high pitched

Brought it in at 15K service and Phil Long Audi here in Colorado Springs couldn't find anything wrong. Let me know if you get any more information. -- PC
Old 09-09-1999, 05:29 PM
Mark

Default So an extended warantee woould be wise for a 99.5???

Boy, if this is consistant with all A4's then I should just get an eextended warrantee for 1500.00 to cover this big expense. How much to replace all 4 control arms on avg.??
Old 09-09-1999, 06:43 PM
so?

Default Re: A4 Control Arm problem

No response about whether the Passat uses the same bits
up front?

Do all A4's use the same control arms, fwd and awd cars
alike?

thanks

Quick Reply: A4 Control Arm problem