A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 quality ratings...advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 quality ratings...advice

I was thinking of buying an A4 soon, for obvious reasons.
I anyone out there has owned a Japanese car before owning an Audi, how would you compare the general quality of the two (repairs, cost of ownership, etc...). Always hearing bad things about German car's repair costs.
Thought I'd ask the real experts...
Thanks
Old 06-20-2001, 08:43 AM

Default If you buy new, you have the benefit of free maintenance and service for 4 yrs/50K miles.

After that, if something goes wrong, the parts are relatively expensive.

As far as reliability, the biggest problem I had was a burned out headlight. Others have had worse - especially the older models and their tie rods.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: A4 quality ratings...advice

I found the quality of my audis to be similar to that of most makes in the same price range. Problems audi owners tend to have seem to relate more to their service experience, as compared to Lexus or Infiniti, than the inherent quality of their car. The quality of the service is dealer dependent, so it's difficult to make generalizations. That said, based on my service experience, audi has a long way to go.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well I had an Acura Integra 98 LS. Traded it in for an AUDI 1.8T 2001. Only have had the Audi since April of this year. No problems with the car. The only thing I must say is getting a service appointment with Audi SUCKS!I could get an appointment with Acura the next day if need be. But as far as comparison with cars. No comparison AUDI is ten times better. The Warranty is about the same as Acura except Audi covers maintaince costs within the warranty period and and Acura does not. That right there could cost and arm and a leg.

Get the Audi. You will be happy! Trust ME!
Old 06-20-2001, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Apples and Oranges comparison but here's my take...

I had an '88 Integra for 90k miles and @6 years. Reliability = 4 out of 5. Wonderful at first, then had a few things go bad as it aged.

Then had an '89 Accord for 120k miles and 12 years. Reliability = 5 out of 5. Never broke down, had a 'major' preventative maintenece expense @year 8 ($900). Had about $700 in maintenance outside of normal wear (oil leak). A/C died which I did not fix in year 11.
Car was pretty well whipped when I got rid of it.

I've only had the A4 for a few months now ('01 model) but I can tell you that it is a totally refreshing driving experience. I grew tired of driving the Integra and the Accord after a few years. The quality of German made cars over Japanese is apparant (once you start paying attention). Japanese cars in general are very bland, usually cheap interiors, and nothing with any personality. German cars are rock solid, and contain minute details that you will find months after you though you found everything.

I understand your concern for reliability as it appears that olders Audis do get expensive to maintain. But if you are looking at a newer Audi, we are talking 4 years of almost no maintenance costs. So you have no excuse not to get the preventative stuff done. Will you pay more to have an Audi fixed instead of an Accord - yes. But the driving experience, build quality is hands down worth it.

A4s have been out since '96, the 99.5 and later appear to be extremely solid and problem free (granted there are some instances - control arms).
Old 06-20-2001, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Try driving a Jap-job after driving an Audi for a week, you will know the answer.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My thoughts based on my experience

I have a '98 Silver A42.8QMS and so far no problem. I have owned only
several Japanese cars but my brother has owned many kinds of cars
including several German cars, so I can compare qualities. Basically,
Japanese cars have better reliability and build quality and in terms of
repair costs, no comparison. German cars are much more expensive to
maintain. Typically, German cars have some problem with electrical parts.
I've never had any electrical problems with any Japanese cars that I had.
My brother's BMWs had always a lot of rattle noises and problems with
electrical parts but his AUDIs had no rattle noises and neither does mine.
Not every German car has that kind of problem but I'm talking about
common problems of German cars based on experience of mine and
people's that I know of. I guess German cars have stronger engines and
transmissions but I'm not sure about that 'cause I've never had any engine
or transmission problems with any Japanese cars that I had.
Hope this would help.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:04 AM

I have owned a brand new 1994 Camry with 4 wheel disc breaks, ABS. During my ownership, I have encountered the following problems.

1. ABS failed twice (over $2,000 to fix it)
2. Power windows regulator (over $400 to fix it)
3. Radiator leak ($200)
4 Water tank ($120)
5. front Engine mount ($200)

so for me, no more Toyota. As far as parts goes,
I don't think Audi is that more expensive as Toyota. I bought a plastic water tank from the dealer and they charged me $120 for it, I was like why it is so expensive, and the guy said "because it is used on every Toyota". It does not make sense at all. I have called other dealer and they all charge about the same price.
So if you want to use the OEM products, Audi will not be that more expensive than the Toyota. But again, if you are looking for the aftermarket stuff, then Japanese parts will be cheaper.
I am very happy with my new A4 I got last month.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my 99.5 2.8 almost 2 years and it's been great for the most part. Only problem I'm having is the breaks are sqweeling and the dealer has yet to fix it correctly. Yes, their service leaves alot to be desired for. My driver's seat was also a little loose, and they said they fixed it, but I can still feel it "move" ever so slightly. Other than these minor grips, the car is rock solid.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hehehe...trust me, Brought my A4 USED, and quality wise, it is leaps/bounds better

than when I brought my 98 Imprezza RS NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very little rattling, etc. After 3 years in the RS (oh, it's for sale at cherry hill subaru in Cherry Hill, NJ...but, buy it if you love left-over, un-repaired lemons), the car felt like crap, seats were falling apart (and I'm not that heavy), carpeting, etc.

Whereas my A4 interior still looks and feels brand new, even with 46,000 on the clock (brought it at 36,000.....look for my write-up tomorrow).

As a matter of fact, my next car purchase will be a used S4/S4 avant as soon as Audi releases the new V8 powered S4's :-)

Quick Reply: A4 quality ratings...advice