A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 vs. Passat

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-1999, 11:46 AM
James

Default A4 vs. Passat

I'm sure this questions been asked before, but... What are the pros and cons of the A4 2.8 vs. the Passat GLX (or the 1.8T vs. the GLS)? The engine choices are the same; the transmissions are similar; styling is really pretty great on both of them. Besides Quattro (which is clearly superior) someone try to convince me that the A4 is worth an additional $4-5K. I've driven a '98 A4 2.8 Quattro extensively, but need some input on the VW.
I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to make this decision, but Carpoint, Edmunds, etc. avoid ever making a head-to-head comparison.
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-06-1999, 11:49 AM
7an

This was just discussed one or two days ago. Check pages 2, 3, 4 etc. or search archives.
Old 12-06-1999, 12:30 PM
Jason H

Default It's very simple actually...

I almost got a Passat GLS last year, very nice, drove pretty well but its manners really felt like a
family car, not that thats a bad thing, it just seemed very smooth and refined. Responsible, if
you know what I mean. The A4 however never loses sight of the more agressive, sporty side of
driving, and despite those two vestigial openings, it feels like a sports coupe. So both cars have
great design, engines etc. It just depends on what kind of driver you are. The best thing is to
actually drive both cars and see which fits you better. If you like to push it once in a while the
extra $5k is worth countless smiles.

2000 1.8T QMS X C SC
Old 12-06-1999, 02:35 PM
Frank B

Default Re: A4 vs. Passat

I drove both 2.8s and bought the A4 Quattro Sport. Quattro was a major factor and the fact that the Passat felt like a good family car to me and the A4 a wonderful sports sedan.

Frank B.
Old 12-06-1999, 03:13 PM
Audiboy

Default Within our family, we have a '00 Passat GLX Tip, my 96 A4QM, '00 A6Q 2.8Tip and among my friends,

a 96 A4Q Auto, a 99.5 1.8T Tip that I have had decent seat time on.

my sister's 00 Passat GLX (2.8 with Tip) is pretty quick on the freeway in auto mode, However, power delivery is not linear when accelerating briskly from 50 to 70mph - and when I mean briskly, I am not stomping on the pedal but rather applying power evenly just as how a cruise control would. It appears when the engine is at normal coasting around 2000 rpm top gear and if I add more gas, the engine response is rather flat until it hits a sweet spot of 2500 rpm - then you just feel a rush of torque, and my head sinks in the headrest. So, after playing with automode for a while, I just decided to keep it in tip and keep the rpm where I almost have instantenous response.

As compared to my Grandpa's '00 A6Q which I was driving around 2 Sunday's ago, it has very smooth power delivery from cruising at 50 to 70. The acceleration was not as brisk or I can really feel the power delivery but it seems to get there as fast as the Passat. So my seat of the pants tells me that the power delivery from cruising speed was more linear, and passing wasn't a problem specially in tip mode. The tip mode shifting also feels smoother than the Passat.

On the contrary, my old 12V A4Q doesn't come alive until 4000 rpm when the short intake runners take over. So, it feels a little flatter than my sister's passat in top gear (or 4th gear) and I also felt this a while back on my friend's 96 auto.

my friend's Alan's 1.8TQtip is the quickest of the bunch wih an APR 1.0bar. Before the chip, I can remember driving it with so so pick up and power delivery. Like you really had to drive the auto in tip mode to stay within the pack. Now with the chip, turbo lag is pronounced, but brief, and a big surge of power comes on. On the freeway, it is fast. Seems as if it had a tweaked V6 even in top gear.

So there's my impression of driving all these late model Piech mobiles. Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-1999, 03:21 PM
larryV

I had a similar dilemma... the A4 won because it was just so damn good lookin' -- oh, and quattro.
Old 12-07-1999, 01:07 PM
Reg B.

Great comparison!