A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4's posted really good times (and impressed a few none A4ers) in AutoX yesterday) long

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-1999, 11:41 AM
Audiboy

Default A4's posted really good times (and impressed a few none A4ers) in AutoX yesterday) long

Since non of the participants posted today, I'll take the liberty of doing this. NASA (National Auto Sport Association) held an AutoX event yesterday sponsored by the NorCal A4 club.

There were quite a few cars running around of different types and makes. The faster car around the track was a highly modified old VW bug at 55.xxx seconds

But the A4's posted times at or better than a few M3's running around. In the GS category, there were a few M3's running in the 64 - 68 second range. One fast Integra at 63.6xx seconds. A few A4's in the 66 to 71sec range, until Selim with his APR chipped 1.8T posted a 63.3xx time! Yes! A4 beat M3 and Integra in G-Stock.

In the AS category, there was one lone S4 (Corey's) in the middle of a dozen M3's and a few Miata's. Corey's S4 with the stock (rather soft suspension) posted a time of 58.xxx! real fast. Not even the Corvette C5's at 60-61sec, or MZ3's at 61-62 secs can match. Most of the M3's were running again in the 64-66 sec range, Only one M3 at 56-57 sec. Corey's S4 with coilover's soon will be in or better than that range. Most drivers had racing tires, particularly the fast ones. Everyone else had regular street tires.

In the CSP's, where A4 with chip, exhaust and larger wheels (17" run), that were a few more A4's in the track. I posted a time of 63.708 with my ERAM 12V. Steve posted an astonishing 59.xxx sec with a 12V! He had racing tires on, but the fastest A4 for the day. Sharon and Mark's 1.8T's running anywhere from 60-62 secs. Christine at 66 sec. Again, a few M3's, this time in the 64 to 68 second range. I noted no faster M3 than the 3-4 fast A4's in this group when I was watching my video footage. A4's kicked butt! One fast GSR (well, horsepower wise) posted a time of 68 sec in this group.

All, I can say, it was a good A4 day! Bragging rights? Yup, got it all on film. Who's the say the 50/50 higher hp M3's outgun the chipped A4's. They look like they are on par in the AutoX.

Next event, Laguna Seca high speed driving event in November. Go A4's and S4(s)!!
Old 10-18-1999, 12:28 PM
Sharon

Default Great Write Up!

I think that everyone had a great time; I know I did. Lots of cameraderie; most everyone got to take rides, or give them. Lots of great debut showings by Selim in G-Stock and Rodney Ow in CSP. And of course getting to see the inaugral run by Corey's S4 in A-Stock.

Nice to see some A4.org'ers come out even if they weren't in Audis. (extra thanks to Chris B and his brother Rob for the chance to get a ride in that Porsche! -- wheee!). Can't wait to see pictures; please post what you have!

Sharon
'97 1.8T etc., etc.,
'00 S4 (februaryish)
Old 10-18-1999, 12:39 PM
Steve S.

Default One further comment about the M3s

There were two fast M3s at the event. One was running with Corey is A-Stock class...he ran a 56.XXX time...pretty darn fast. The other M3 that was fast was in the C-Street Prepared class, owned by Jim Ochi, who ran a mid 57 run. I am usually pretty competitive with Jim, but he beat me handsomely on Sunday...Oh well.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 10-18-1999, 01:03 PM
WarrenY

Default Re: Great Write Up!

You're getting a S4?! Is everyone getting one but me? I just got my damn chip working...(turbo, really, but I like blaming the chip)

Warren
Old 10-18-1999, 01:48 PM
Drew S.

Default M3's are not GS category. Must be a mis-print.

I don't know what category M3's belong in, but I know it's not GS.

At the auto-x's I've been to, any M3 driver with decent skills (or more than 3 auto-x's to their credit) can beat A4's everytime (comparing stock to stock). Not that that bothers me. That's why they have different categories.

Drew S.
1998.5 2.8 qm
Old 10-18-1999, 01:55 PM
Audiboy

Default Mid 57's? I missed that one cuz I was in the track. Wait till you run with Jim ..

in February. S4 right Steve? If a 12V can do 59, I can't imagine what you will do with 18 more valves and twin turbos

But what was great to see was how competitive our cars were. And again, while you were running out of horsepower, I was running out of skill :-)

till Next time
Old 10-18-1999, 01:59 PM
Audiboy

Default Wow, the best of the best getting S4's. Now the C5's, M3's, Miata's...

etc,etc have a few A4ers to worry about. Good luck on your S4 and Steve's too.

BTW, what was Rodney's time? I haven't had a chance to view all the CSP runs my brother video'd

Also, I wish Frank showed up with his TT. With a TT and S4 around the track, and the A4's showing really good times, thing just look so damn good for Audi!
Old 10-18-1999, 02:01 PM
Carl

When is the Laguna Seca event??! I wanna go...
Old 10-18-1999, 02:40 PM
Steve S.

Default Nov 22 - NASA High Perf Driving Event (Monday)

It is a track day though...not just an autocross event.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 10-18-1999, 03:39 PM
Audiboy

Default They are in AS, just as I mentioned Corey in a lone S4 along a dozen M3's...

But those were surely M3's running with the AS. Bottom line, whatever class, comes down to driver skill. And for a lot of first timers and rookies out there, both M3 and A4 people, came out roughly identical times - although for a 1st timer like me, Selim, Rodney(?) and a few others posted at or better times the other first timers. A few veterans like Steve, Sharon, Mark posted much better times than most veteran M3 and Miata drivers out there too. The good M3 drivers (2 noted as Steve mentioned) posted really fast times of 56-57sec. Corey with the S4 runs in that category as the A4's just simply ran out of juice as displayed by Steve with his 12V A4Q.

There were no 328's or 323's that I noted around, except for a red older model 325 who had the luxury of running the AS category 8 times or so! Because of his shiny wheels, the timer could not pick up his end time so they had to load his car with tape on the fender and wheels. Still his best time was a 66.6xx.

I think this is the first AutoX here with lots of A4 participation, and most of us 1st timers. Overall, we did show that the A4's are capable of running with the better cars out there. And while some RWD's loss traction a few times and spin around in despair, quattro really stood out and made us beginners look good.

Quick Reply: A4's posted really good times (and impressed a few none A4ers) in AutoX yesterday) long