A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Advice needed: Putting amp and a bass box in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-1999, 07:31 PM
Jason

Yes, my amp powers everything, including the sub
Old 05-19-1999, 07:52 PM
Rob

Default Sorry to make Kurt jealous, again.:)..I have one complaint on my 3rd gen Brullen...but now its fixed:)

I had a SLIGHT fitment issue with mine. It started to hit against the underneath side <br>somewhere. It appeared to hit where the OE clamp was. I repositioned, but it look like it might have hit where it passes under the rear diff by the exhaust hanger. I took Steve's advice and bent the hanger up a little so the exhaust would hang just a few mm lower. I only had a a few in the first place. Now, no banging yet. We'll see.<br>When I talked to them abou it, I was the first out of 40 sold to report this issue. Probably just a fluke. I like the sound 93% anyway. I wish it was just a touch quieter, but it sounds exactly like Andrews posted. Although I haven't noticed a drone at 2500...go figure. Definitely worth it though. The only other option I considered was Stebro, but since I haven't heard one of those, I opted for Brullen.<br>
Old 05-19-1999, 08:21 PM
Rich

Default ditto for me..no problems, no text...

-
Old 05-20-1999, 06:00 AM
DaveW

Default Here's how I mounted mine (pic)

The amps are flush mounted to a piece of MDF against the left side of the trunk.<br>The white amp (Phoenix MS-275) is bridged and running about 150W to the 10"<br>Solobaric sub (sealed box). I can run it @ 2-ohms and push to 300W but really don't<br>need that much power. The gray amp is an ADS 4-ch running the front and rear <br>MB Quart RSB's. It's only rated at 40W/ch but its fine for what I listen to, maybe I'll <br>upgrade later on. The changer is an Alpine 12-disc.<br> Sorry for the crummy pic quality, gotta get a better camera and lighting!<br>DaveW<br>98.5 2.8 QM .......Happily cruisin' with good tunes!
Old 05-20-1999, 07:45 AM
LCP

Default It all depends on how hard your amp is driven if it is upside down...

I have an Orion 225 HCCA (the old red ones; I've had it for almost 10 years); it only drives one 2-ohm 12" sub in bridged mono (200W RMS); in my previous cars it drove two of these (so total resistance was only 1-ohm); and I had heard of people driving 4 2-ohm speakers with this amp (0.5 ohms of total resistance--that's really pushing it). Because I was so underusing the power of this amp, I was not concerned about it being upside down. With a Sony 5-channel, I would not be so sure; if you turn that up, you're probably going to be pushing it to its limit and it may overheat.