A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

ADVICE RE:DUNLOP 8000 SWAP AT DELIVERY

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-1999, 05:47 AM
RICK PARDO

Default ADVICE RE:DUNLOP 8000 SWAP AT DELIVERY

BULID WEEK 20, ANTICIPATE DELIVERY LATE JUNE/ EARLY JULY.<p>WOOD LIKE ADVICE ON BEST PERFORMANCE ALL WEATHER TIRE TO SWAP FOR SPORT 8000'S UPON DELIVERY, AND AN APPROXIMATE UPCHARGE PRICE I SHOULD EXPECT TO PAY. <p>I LIVE IN WHITE PLAINS AND COMMUTE TO MASPETH QUEENS, APPROX 50 MILES ROUND TRIP, OVER SOME OF THE WORST ROADS IN THE US.<p>HANDLING IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME, AND WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU HAVE DONE THIS, WHAT IT COSTS, AND WHAT YOU RECOMMEND IN A PERFORMANCE ALL WEATHER TIRE.<p>THANKS TO ALL,<p>RSP<br>
Old 05-04-1999, 06:10 AM
L.S.

I'm BLIND!!........I'm BLIND.........nt
Old 05-04-1999, 06:17 AM
DaveL

Default First advice is to turn off your caps lock....

I've had good experiences in the past with Dunlop SP4000 A/S. It's a good all season tire that should be fine in your part of the country.<p>Try searching the archives for more all season tire recommendations.<p>Dave<br>'97 1.8TQMS wett
Old 05-04-1999, 06:29 AM
Chris L.

Default You need to define "handling"

I am not sure what you mean by "handling is very important to me." I assume that since you referenced bad road (i.e., potholes in NYC) that you want a smoother, less aggressive ride.<p>The Dunlop 8000e is a great handling tire. You should have very little problems with this tire in NYC. The Quattro advantage should compensate for the few days that it snows (although I still recommend a set of snow tires for the winter). All weather tires will not be better handling for NYC conditions. The only way to improve pothole jarring is to move to a 15" (195/65-15) setup and give yourself a taller sidewall. A dealer should do this at no charge for you since it is a less expensive/desireable wheel package.<p>Hope this helps.<p>Chris L.<br>ps - turn off your cap-locks - it represents 'yelling' in these parts :-)
Old 05-04-1999, 06:29 AM
Chris L.

Default You need to define "handling"

I am not sure what you mean by "handling is very important to me." I assume that since you referenced bad road (i.e., potholes in NYC) that you want a smoother, less aggressive ride.<p>The Dunlop 8000e is a great handling tire. You should have very little problems with this tire in NYC. The Quattro advantage should compensate for the few days that it snows (although I still recommend a set of snow tires for the winter). All weather tires will not be better handling for NYC conditions. The only way to improve pothole jarring is to move to a 15" (195/65-15) setup and give yourself a taller sidewall. A dealer should do this at no charge for you since it is a less expensive/desireable wheel package.<p>Hope this helps.<p>Chris L.<br>ps - turn off your cap-locks - it represents 'yelling' in these parts :-)
Old 05-04-1999, 08:23 AM
JimV

Default westchester and 8000s

I drive these roads all the time and the SP8000 are just perfect.<br>I had winter tires on this year and handling did decrease but it never really snowed.<br>The two times it did, the snows came in handy. I dont think swapping for all weathers will improve the roads in westchester, the 8000 are very good Z rated tires that handle well at 90mph which is about as fast as you can go in our area.<p>
Old 05-04-1999, 08:56 AM
Michael J.

Default Re: ADVICE RE:DUNLOP 8000 SWAP AT DELIVERY

Wow! <p>I never thought I'd hear of someone wanting to swap factory provided SP8000's...<p>I had a 96 Integra GS-R that came with Michelin MXVs, supposedly all season performance tires. If you check the similar Integra forums you will find these tires SUCK. Dangerous in wet, groany in the dry and useless in snow. Integra owners have begged dealers to swap SP8000s in their place.<p>My advice to you is this. Keep the SP8000s they are a great hadling tire for the dry/wet and with the 55 series wall will give you a semi-comfy ride. Buy a set of Blizzaks (used these on my 'Teg too) and steel wheels for the winter. You will lose too much SP8000s value in a trade at a dealer. With this combo and Quattro you can't lose.<p>If you want more dry handling than the SP8000s you will have to go to a more race type tire, such as a BFG G-Force (or the R1). I plan on actually putting these (hope the size comes out soon) on my stock wheels for Auto-X and going for some nice looking 18"s and Sp8000s for the street.<p>Good Luck with your decision...<p>Reguards to All,<p>Michael
Old 05-04-1999, 12:09 PM
trifona

Default Free Advice......

Stop posting under multiple ID's...<p>Stop typing in Full Caps.......<p><br>IT'S SO OBVIOUS THAT IT'S THE SAME PERSON TYPING.....
Old 05-04-1999, 02:30 PM
Nick N.

Default You have to Know where the cops sit around here Jim (westchester resident)

go fast