A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Alarm Problem (Kinda Long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2000, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Problem (Kinda Long)

How can I disable my alarm? I took my car to the dealer today and they could not find anything wrong with my alarm system. The majority of the time when I lock the car the horn does not sound. If I open and close the truck, strangely enough, and then lock the car the horn will sound and a few minutes later the alarm will go off. Some days the horn will sound every time I lock the car and the alarm will eventually sound every time the horn sounds while locking car. I have tried disabling the inside motion sensor and this does not work. The dealer has checked my car out twice now and they can't seem to find any wrong. Yet my problem still exists. Anyone have any ideas........if not how do or can I disable the alarm?
Old 03-20-2000, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think it depends on whether you arm before you close the door

This is what I've noticed. When you turn on the alarm, THEN close the doors, the horn will not sound. Afterwards the door will lock and the LED's will begin to flash.

If you close all the doors, THEN arm the alarm, the horn sounds. I think this is pretty annoying, so I tend to use the above method.

Jimmy
99.5 1.8TQMS Garrett
JL Audio, PPI, MBQ
Old 03-20-2000, 05:59 PM
DRR

Default Horn sounding when arming may depend on model year...

I found that the horn does admit a chirp when I lock the doors with the remote and then close the doors.

Doug
00 1.8TQTip Avant
Old 03-20-2000, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default For me, the horn doesn't sound ONLY if the drivers door is closed afterwards. AND . . .

the driver's door doesn't lock!! Is this some kind of safety feature?

Any other door, if closed after arming, is given the horn beep.
Old 03-20-2000, 06:24 PM

Default Dealer should be able to...

...use their #1551 (Audi diagnostic tool) and check the alarm control unit memory and see exactly what set off the alarm and how many times. Should be simple from there.

Jake
Old 03-21-2000, 02:32 PM

Default The horn will not sound if the trunk is not closed all the way...

...and you mention that closing the trunk has an effect on how the horn reacts. Since you state that the alarm gets set off after you close the trunk and it beeps, I would suspect that there is a problem with the trunk switch. If it is not always making contact, then it may not sense the trunk is closed, or may lose contact after closing, which would cause a change in the current draw and set off the alarm, as if someone opened the trunk. Have the dealer check the trunk switch. Honestly; dealer techs are boneheads, so help them out if you have to! :-)

Charles
Old 04-03-2000, 04:23 AM

Default Re: I've got one in the same place your described. Plan to have dealer silence it at next service.

I also had a rumbling dash board noise. Turns out it was the plastic grill at the bottom of the windscreen behind the wipers. It was only obvious pulling away. A clip was missing from the join in the middle. Open the bonnet and reach back to the moulding and give it a tug. If it moves, then secure it with either the correct clip or a nut and bolt. It can also touch the battery, so try a bit of foam in that case.
Rgds
Ian