A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone else notice the wierd cut on the lights??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-1999, 06:40 AM
Chris

Default Anyone else notice the wierd cut on the lights??

I have a new 99.5 and was driving last night and noticed that the light has this z shape cut when turned on. Has anyone else noticed it? When you turn on the lights you see that the front spread cuts in, in one spot, or is it just me? Any comments would help. Thanks
Old 10-04-1999, 07:05 AM
caleb

Default Re: Anyone else notice the wierd cut on the lights??

my new A4 avant has that same format...as does my TT. i think the driver's side light is down a little for oncomming traffic? not a clue why, if this isn't it.
Old 10-04-1999, 07:05 AM
Warren

Yes - same on my '00A4
Old 10-04-1999, 08:39 AM
John

Default This is more like the european head lights.

The sharp cut off keeps you from blinding traffic. The cut off is higher to the right to illuminate the shoulder better. Audi seems to have them aimed a bit too low so I cranked mine up just a tad but not too much so I don't blind anyone.
Old 10-04-1999, 09:12 AM
Keith

Default Yep, I had a 98.5 and now a 99.5 and...

the difference between the headlights was very annoying at first. The "cut" (I called it a stair-step) was so distracting that I thought it would be a hinderence to safety. Add that to the fact that the headlights were so low that I couldn't see diddly. So I raised the lights some (they now hit below the trunk on cars 6 car lengths in front of me) and that seems to have helped with the distraction.

Keith
Old 10-04-1999, 10:02 AM
Chris

Default How do you raise the lights??

Can you tell me how you raise the lights, the so called "step" is driving me crazy at night. Thanks
Old 10-04-1999, 10:38 AM
7an

There are instructions in your manual. Little screws next to headlights; open hood.
Old 10-04-1999, 11:57 AM
Vitor

Default Re: Anyone else notice the wierd cut on the lights??

Yes, i noticed it, and i did make a remark in my audi dealer, but they still didn't put it like i want to.
Old 10-04-1999, 12:37 PM
christine s

Default You can NOT change the "cutaway" pattern in the lights- it's in each bulb....

They're European Halogen headlamps, designed to prevent blinding oncoming drivers.
I've had my 99.5 for 6 months and yes it takes getting used to, but the light is clearer and the sharp edges are only evident on totally dark roads.
To lessen the effect, on dark streets at night, either add the fog lights or highbeams- both of those do not have the zigzag in them, and you'll get traditional "fuzzy" outlines.
I particularly like the fogs (well I'm in the Bay Area, CA there IS fog often) added to the headlights- fills in the sides and that annoying left front side which is too low in my opinion also.

You can ask the dealer to raise both lamps a few degrees - be sure to have them do it, or be precise if you're a do-it-yourselfer- because if you don't have them "in sync", then you'll have TWO CUTAWAY lines (ickkkkk) as the pattern is in each headlamp independently. ALSO to note- the screw that appears to adjust the light up/down actually is the one that adjusts across the horizontal horizon- they're set at a few 90 degree angles to the bulbs so it's opposite what you'd think...

my 2 cents....