A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Anyone own a Passat and A4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-1999, 11:51 AM
Bob Petruska

Default Josh, you're correct, but the VW has a 10yr/100K drivetrain warranty also (nt)]

-
Old 01-09-1999, 12:01 PM
ThE uNaBiMmEr

MayBe He DoEsNt HaVe MiSGuiDED PaReNTs To sUppOrT SuCh A PuRcHaSe .....
Old 01-09-1999, 12:17 PM
Mark

Default 2nd Round Test Drive Complete (very very long)

Couldn't stand just virtual relaizing things so I went back to Dealer. Test Drove V6 manual A4 and V6 Tip Passat. Will be getting a 1.8T if A4, & will consider V6 if Passat. <p>Audi - Very smooth, handling was awesome. Took some high speed turns. Love the feeeling of being in a sporty car. Did hear wind or road noise? Thought it might be sun roof, but salesman thought it was due to tires. Found that reaching window buttons somewhat awkward compared to Passat. Speedometer easier to tell exact speed of travel than Passat. Parked two cars side by side and prefered the look of Audi from all directions, although the Passat has a remarkable look to it as well. <p>Passat- More room. More simplistic interior, but very good quality finish work. I mean I was ratttling tings, checking seem stiches, rubber pieces etc. and found Passat as good or even at times better than Audi. I prefered the door handles of Passat over audi and the manully operated climate controls. I wish that could be an option on the Audi. However, the cloth seats of the Audi are far better than the passats. Passat's back seat much more spacious of course & ok for long trips. Audi's back seats ok for 1-2hrs max then rest stop. Passat was quieter at speeds. Much more cush in suspension and body roll, felt less safe on high speed turns, but steering still tight.<p>Audi 1.8 - Optimisic or possible? -5% over invoice w/sport pkg. and Quattro = 23, 350.00<p>Passat 1.8 - 5% over invoice = 20,055.00<p> -add tires, wheels, suspension??????<br> -not sure of cost here?<br>Rough estimate? 2000.00 =total of =22,055.00<p>Difference Passat = bigger<br> Audi = Quattro = 1295.00 more<p>One last question:<p>I currently have a 1988 scirocco that kinda grinds/slips hard into 2nd gear especially when colder (doesn't occurs when warm) and some mechanics say that my transmisson is going - need new synchros or something like that. Will this ever happen to my A4 in ten years? If it happens to my Passat then it's covered under warrantee correct?<p>By the way - thank you for your responses and I'm leaning toward the A4 if I can get that price and especially for a 99.5 - I just feel that it will make me smile bigger when I walk toward it to drive. Driven to the edge of control! It's my turn to Drive.<p>
Old 01-09-1999, 12:36 PM
Cameron

Default I was trying to illustrate how impractical adding range is, doofus.

nt<br>
Old 01-09-1999, 01:09 PM
Mark

Default Re: Correction

Price of A4 (5%over, spt. pkg., Quattro)is 24,350 instead of 23,350 like I reported earlier, so the cost difference would be more like 2300.00 between an upgraded Passat and A4.
Old 01-09-1999, 01:26 PM
tHe uNaBiMmEr

Default AnD hE iLlUsTrAtEd InEFiCCieNcY Of VW 5V EnGiNe/AWD cOmBo......................

$1.40 gas won't be around forever.........................<p>
Old 01-09-1999, 02:03 PM
E

Bob, I knew you'd be able to stick that in somewhere! (nt) :-)
Old 01-09-1999, 04:20 PM
knh

Re: Correction
Old 01-09-1999, 08:40 PM
Chris C

Default 1 mpg ???

There is only a 1 mpg difference between quattro and non-quattro. This means the non-quattro car will go 15 miles further. Big deal. In the real world your driving style will make a much, much bigger difference than q/non q.
Old 01-10-1999, 01:15 AM
ChuckH

Default Actually...

...I believe the 1 MPG difference is due to gearing (lower on the quattro, I believe), and not mechanical loss. Audi testing years ago showed that driving all four wheels was actually more efficient, enough so that the extra mechanical drain was more than made up in the efficiency at the tire. For me to explain this would require too much thought, and would take up a lot of space, but if you want to E-Mail me, I'll do my best, based on the info I have. The A4 has a small gas tank though, for the type of car it is. I like the 18.5 gallon unit on my 90Q. It lasts along time. But then, it also costs a lot to fill up! :-(<p>Charles<br>

Quick Reply: Anyone own a Passat and A4?