A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi A4 1.8T versus Jetta GLX VR6

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-1999, 05:04 PM
Chris

Default Audi A4 1.8T versus Jetta GLX VR6

I ordered a '00 silver Jetta GLX VR6 about two months ago and still have another month to wait. I've always wanted a A4 2.8Q but the price was just too high. I never really looked at the A4 1.8T just because it was a 4 banger and I didn't think it would have the ***** like a 6. I've been reading a lot of forums about chipping the 1.8T to get the desired hp and torque. Well, to say the least, I'm confused. I'm paying $24,695 for the Jetta. If I go with the 1.8T, I would get the Quattro, convenience pkg, cold weather pkg, and sport pkg. I think I could talk the dealer down between $27-$28. Is it worth going with the 1.8T and then chipping it? This is also my first new car, so I need some help here. Thanks.
Old 09-25-1999, 05:22 PM
Zsan

Default Re: Audi A4 1.8T versus Jetta GLX VR6

I was in the same situation as you. However I have had some old VW's and they gave me nothing but trouble. I'm not sure if the new VW's are the same (small things falling apart with the car) although I have read that the Jetta had a few minor problems (sunroof etc.. But so does the Audi) but what you are really paying for is the Audi Service. I just had my car serviced and they were great!...Gave me a loaner car and washed my car for me and everything....Fixed all of the little nitty gritty things I was picky about without any questions. I can't say the same for VW service. I have heard they were pretty awful, but that's just hearsay.

As far as the car is concerned, the A4 has MUCH better handling with the sports package than the Jetta does...I drove a vr6 and I loved the power!...But the A4's engine sounds GREAT!!....Once you chip it, I think it will feel quite similar to the jetta vr6 and that'll cost you only about 500 dollars. However there is a downfall to chipping. Your car may tend to ping or knock so you will have to work with whomever you bought the chip from. Also, it has been speculated that a chipped car has a reduced engine/turbo life (not too sure which one). Because many of the people who own chippped A4s haven't own them for very long, no one really knows if reliability will be a problem with a chipped car. Hope this helps. If I am wrong on anything someone please feel free to correct me.

Mike Tse
Old 09-25-1999, 05:25 PM
DaveL

Get hold of the 4/99 issue of Car & Driver. 7 car comparison test. A41.8T 1st...JettaGLX 7th
Old 09-25-1999, 07:47 PM
Dave Y

Default My thoughts, too.... I went with the A4 1.8T .... now I do not think I even need to chip it....

I went through the same thoughts. I was "this close" to getting the Jetta. I was driving a Toyota MR2 so I really wanted a torquey (?) car. The 1.8T feels tighter and faster than the MR2. The handling, especially with the Sport package, is much better than the Jetta - from the test drives I did. The A4 is tight...tighter than the Jetta. After driving it, I see no need to even chip it. Plenty of power for us non-racers.

My opinion still holds after 3000 miles,
dy - 99.5 A4 1.8T QMS
Old 09-25-1999, 08:41 PM
Rich L.

Default I went from a Passat VR6 to an A4 1.8T

I know nothing of the Jetta, but I can compare the engines. I loved the VR6. It pulled hard from the bottom and the sound was great. I miss that smooth torque. But the 1.8T's very different feel is tons of fun. It kicks a bit stock and the APR chip made a huge difference. It bogs at first then the power surges and off you go.

My A4 is a manual quattro sport package. I'm super happy with it as a replacement for the Passat GLX.

Best of luck,
Rich
Old 09-26-1999, 06:48 AM
Digger

Default Zsan, did you have your car serviced at Beaudry or or did you drive to Scottsdale Audi?

nt
Old 09-26-1999, 07:03 AM
Henry Egan

Default Re: Audi A4 1.8T and Jetta GLX VR6 (long)

I traded a 95 Jetta GLX for a 99 A4 1.8T. Both are 5 speeds. Occasionally, I like to drive like a complete lunatic at the extreme limits of the vehicle. After years of psychiatric counselling and medication, this problem still inexplicably exists.

Drove the GLX for 3 years with 5 speed. Car was poor build quality, especially the paint. The VR6 5 speed and some good 50 series rubber (remove the Goodyear junk ASAP) more than made up for that. Loads of fun, even up to the last day. The VR6 is, by far, the best engine I have ever owned (of 16 or so cars). The suspension was not well matched though, driver needs to be on his toes to make it do it's tricks.

The Audi is built much better and even without sports suspension outhandles the GLX by a fair bit. Much greater control with the Audi when driving aggressively. It just takes a little longer to get to the point where you feel you are driving aggressively in the Audi. The 1.8T, which is soon available in Golfs & Jettas, is not bad, but begs for modification. Even still, I do not expect it will ever match the feel of the VR6. I tried the 1.8T with Tiptronic and it was a total slug, with 5 speed it is enjoyable. I also tried the V6 30 valve with 5 speed, smoother than VR6 but still not as fun an engine though it is rated with more power - depressingly has no engine growl. Felt more like a cruiser than a sport.

The GLX, when equipped with 4 Pirelli snow tires was extremely capable in the snow. The quattro with snows inspires even more confidence in bad weather. This is not always a good thing, quattro is for acceleration not braking! I never once got stuck with the Jetta and I live in the highest snow fall area in North America and can often be found on back roads hunting powder skiing.

The A4 has more cabin space than the GLX, though the Audi trunk seems smaller. My four kids fit better in the Audi than the Jetta, though no seat for my wife in either. The Jetta also had leather and nicer wheels, all the rest goes in favour of the Audi. No problems with sunroof in either vehicle, in fact they seem to be identical.

Life is full of compromises. The Audi is a piece of sculpture that handles extremely well, the GLX is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Both are very fun in different ways.
Old 09-26-1999, 07:21 AM
Zsan

Scottsdale Audi
Old 09-26-1999, 10:09 AM
Rodney

Default A little clarification (long)

On service that is strictly dealer dependent, some have awesome service departments, and some S*CK. The VW dealer I took my Jetta to while it was under warranty (and free maintenance) was awesome and did all of the little things you described. I even got them to locate a intermittent rattle in the rear of the car (turned out to be a little peice of plastic had been broken off of the clamp mechanism on the fold down rear seat). On the other hand I have heard a lot of horror stories about Audi service departments. In my personal experience I have not been impressed with an Audi service department yet (tried two so far), nothing wrong, but not going that extra mile; oh yeah they wash the car...shrug (guess I've come to expect this, the VW dealer always did too). I would say that the individual service department is more of a factor than the individual make.

Chipping, you should not experience knocking/pinging. If this happens, the chip maker needs to adjust the tuning. Pretty much all chips I know of have pinged for someone, this is influenced by fuel quality and climate (primarily), and when this happens the chip needs to be adjusted (that's the easiest way to put it) by the tuner to correct this.

As for speculating about reduced engine life, well technically it is speculation, but the reality is that any time you put more strain on components (more power from engine or spinning turbo faster) you reduce their longevity. The question here is by how much and from what? If the 1.8t will last an average of 500k miles (# pulled from butt), how many people will care if chipping takes 50k miles off that, I wouldn't. Audi is offering the 1.8t in Europe on the A4 with 180hp (the one in the TT is SLIGHTLY different, but I believe the Euro A4 one is just using altered programming), and much more power with some mechanical modifications (TTQ). Also, the KKK K03 turbo (stock turbo) is rated at 1 bar of boost, which is about the most that any stage 1 chip runs (there are a few exceptions). In addition, full boost in normal (non-track) driving is rarely experienced for more than a few seconds, most of the time the car is not using the turbo much if at all (really learned a lot since installing my boost guage). Only time will tell for longevity though.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms (unchipped for a little bit longer)
Old 09-26-1999, 10:14 AM
Rodney

Default A4 faster than your MR2???

How old was that MR2. My A4 isn't even as fast as my Jetta (VR6) was and that was slow compared to an MR2, I test drove a '94 twin turbo MR2 when shopping for my Jetta. But the MR2 was impractical (if you wanted to carry anything more than a gym bag) and I ultimately went with the Jetta.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms

Quick Reply: Audi A4 1.8T versus Jetta GLX VR6