A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi Dealer CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2001, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Dealer CD Changer

Carlsen Audi in Palo Alto quoted me $427 for the 6 disc changer and $62 for installation. The online Audi Boutique quotes the changer as costing $350. The Panasonic MSRP is only $260. What's up with Audi dealer parts departments not keeping up with Audi's advertised prices?

Bought the Panasonic online with protocol cable and hardware. Total cost including shipping was $301. Put it in last night. works great.

Carlsen's Parts Department told me that they couldn't procure a sunshade (problems with a contractor); but it was readily available from the Audi-Boutique and several other websites.

I'm very happy with the Service people at Carlsen in Palo Alto, CA; but their Parts Dept. is incompetent.
Old 02-22-2001, 07:29 AM

Re: where did you order it from.
Old 02-22-2001, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Audi Dealer CD Changer (Where)

hook us up
Old 02-22-2001, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Stratmosphere

I bought the Panasonic Changer, protocol adapter kit, and hardware for $287 from Stratmosphere. There's a link to their store on this website (see Links at the top of the Audiworld page, then Parts. After taxes and UPS shipping, the total was $301.

the only tools you'll need are a philips-head screwdriver and an 8mm socket.

I didn't need to use any of the framing that came with the Panasonic kit; I used 4 of the included screws to mount the changer in the frame under the tool box.

This is how it worked for my '01 A4 with the Bose Symphony.
1. Clear out your trunk.
2. Remove the plastic trunk lid liner by removing 8 philips screws.
3. Remove the cover from the tool box/changer area.
4. Lift the floor carpeting away from the tool box area and remove the tool box.
5. There's a snap on the aft end of the driver's side carpet-molding surrounding the tool box area. Turn the snap 90 degrees then pull straight off. Pull the carpet-molding slightly away to expose the hardware for the changer frame.
6. There are QTY-5 8mm screws holding the frame in place. Remove the two aft and bottom screws (be careful not to drop them inside your body frame. Loosen the fifth forward screw (this section of the frame is slotted, so you don't need to fully remove the screw).
7. Pull out the changer frame. Be gentle, there is some electrical cabling and a junction box mounted on the bottom of the frame. You don't need to remove the frame from the car; just pull it into the trunk enough that you can work with it.
6. Slide your Panasonic changer into the slot.
7. There are two holes on each side of the frame that line up with four holes on the sides of the changer. Use the lock-washer-washer-screws that come in the Stratmosphere package to fix the changer in place.
8. Don't forget to plug in the protocol adapter cable between the Audi cable and your unit.
9. Reverse steps 7 through 1 and enjoy.

My kit came with a cable with RCA jacks and a DC Power (yellow) line attached). Ignore the Panasonic directions. You don't need this cable. All you need is the included Protocol adapter cable (power and signals all run through the existing cable).
Old 02-22-2001, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Re: Stratmosphere(thanks dave)