A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AudiWorld...You out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AudiWorld...You out there?

I'm kind of a new member, maybe about a month or so, but I was wondering why the forum is setup this way? Has a CGI setup or the BBS board been used before and failed? The setups are much easier to follow different topics, posting is easier, just more user-friendly setup.

http://corvetteforum.cc/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

This is the type of setup I'm talking about. Its very user friendly...this is a very active board, why not use something that is suited to that?

Just wondering

Steve
Old 07-28-2001, 05:56 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default New and already rocking the boat.

You'll fit right in.

Welcome.
Old 07-28-2001, 05:59 PM

i 2nd that!
Old 07-28-2001, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, out of all the forums I've ever seen, I like AW's format the best.
Old 07-28-2001, 06:01 PM

Default I agree that AW should switch to the UBB (Ultimate Bulletin Board) system, but...

...this does have a couple advantages. First off, with UBB, you have to view a thread to read the messages, whereas here, quite often people don't have to even go to the thread to read it unless it's a long post. That is, people just post their text in the topic and leave NT in the post. Also, you can track threads to show up at the top whenever they're responded to, but each thread stays in the same order, whereas on UBB threads are organized by the last time a post was added to them. I was used to the UBB way of doing things before coming here and at first I found this system to be stupid, but it's grown on me in a couple of ways. I don't know if it can be done, but if UBB can be set up with a Track Thread function like this system has, that would be the most ideal setup. I don't mean like the function on UBB to watch a thread where it will email you when there is a new post to the thread; that's inefficient, but if it could track threads like it works here, where when a thread you have tracked pops up to the top and puts in bold any new posts, I would be extremely happy. UBB is also much easier on the eyes than this archaic forum. But, hey, there's good people and great info here, so who am I to complain?

-mikey
Old 07-28-2001, 06:04 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

ditto.
Old 07-28-2001, 06:12 PM

Default Re: I agree that AW should switch to the UBB (Ultimate Bulletin Board) system, but...

I do like the ability to track threads, that is a nice item on here, the only way to follow threads in this forum....

But lets say for a minute, instead all the replies on this message readable, the idea of putting all the post in a single folder for you to easily follow makes sense to me. Say I dont want to read about a different forum setup, I like the current, I would only have to look at the folder title, and say nope, doesnt interest me, with this setup, I may have to scroll have the first page to get rid of it and find something that does interest me to read on? Not sure if I'm explaining myself very well here, a few beers ...but navigate through the corvetteforum
http://corvetteforum.cc/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
and you will understand what I'm talking about

Just an idea for little ol me

Steve

01.5 Santorin/Opal A4 1.8TQM
Old 07-28-2001, 06:12 PM

ditto.
Old 07-28-2001, 06:13 PM

I like roadfly's format... check out www.bimmer.org for example...
Old 07-28-2001, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You can go into Preferences and change that stuff..

If you want to keep the individual message threading as it is now, but only see the first message of the thread, then go into Preferences (wherever you go to post a message) and click the "Collapse threads?" checkbox. Another thing you can do to make it a bit more like UBB is to check the "Show all of thread instead of single messages?", but it's lacking in design right now.

Personally, I think that the current AW setup is one of the most intuitive out there. I'm not a very big fan of UBB in most instances (but a few it is good at).

Quick Reply: AudiWorld...You out there?