A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Auto Tranny fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo510
Wash the pan and magnets carefully before installing the gasket, also wipe the sealing surface of the transmission case clean; I use industrial grade isopropyl alcohol.
+1 It behooves you to get everything as clean as possible - the surfaces the gasket contacts to ensure a proper seal, and everywhere else to ensure your new filter won't get quickly clogged up again. I am always pleased with the improved behavior of my transmission when I change it - you might not notice how bad it is until you change your fluid and have it back to shifting like butter. Besides, beats an early death to your transmission any day.

This is the kit that has been referenced time and again here, available for $131.27:

Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pete@ECSTuning
+1 It behooves you to get everything as clean as possible - the surfaces the gasket contacts to ensure a proper seal, and everywhere else to ensure your new filter won't get quickly clogged up again. I am always pleased with the improved behavior of my transmission when I change it - you might not notice how bad it is until you change your fluid and have it back to shifting like butter. Besides, beats an early death to your transmission any day.

This is the kit that has been referenced time and again here, available for $131.27:

is Pentosin fluid synthetic?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by D-A4
is Pentosin fluid synthetic?
Was having a hard time figuring this out until I looked at the back of the bottle, and yes, it's fully synthetic:

Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Old 10-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pete@ECSTuning
Was having a hard time figuring this out until I looked at the back of the bottle, and yes, it's fully synthetic:

lol, ok my apologise on my dumbass question. I just saw German so didn't bother to look down. With shipping up to Canada that isn't bad at all. I'm going to price out MaxLife here and add the cost to what autopartsway.ca is charging for the kit and go from there.
thanks for the info.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

No worries! I'll be here if you have any further questions.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can someone shed some light on this subject? I'm in my garage right now refilling the trans 01V at the check/fill point in front of the pass side cv shaft. The tranny is empty and wont even go into gears, but when I pump fluid into it and spits right back out onto the ground like its full, but i did I pan drop and filter change. Am I better off finding a plumber fitting with a barb on it to fill with at least a couple quarts to warm it up and drive it?

any thoughts?
Old 10-31-2010, 04:21 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by babypumpkinhead
Can someone shed some light on this subject? I'm in my garage right now refilling the trans 01V at the check/fill point in front of the pass side cv shaft. The tranny is empty and wont even go into gears, but when I pump fluid into it and spits right back out onto the ground like its full, but i did I pan drop and filter change. Am I better off finding a plumber fitting with a barb on it to fill with at least a couple quarts to warm it up and drive it?

any thoughts?
I hope this is a spoof, but I will answer seriously.

The transmission has two differentials that use gear oil, the front and center diffs (center is at the rear of the unit), and a center section that uses the ATF. You drained the ATF, but it sounds like you are trying to pump fluid into the front diff.

Suggest you attempt to suck out as much of the diff oil (there is no drain plug) at the front diff and refill with the correct gear oil. Then fill the ATF though the correct port in the trans pan.

Whatever you do, don't start the car until you get at a couple of liters of fluid into the trans, and don't try to drive it until you fill the trans.

Shame on you if this is a joke.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I hope this is a spoof, but I will answer seriously.

The transmission has two differentials that use gear oil, the front and center diffs (center is at the rear of the unit), and a center section that uses the ATF. You drained the ATF, but it sounds like you are trying to pump fluid into the front diff.

Suggest you attempt to suck out as much of the diff oil (there is no drain plug) at the front diff and refill with the correct gear oil. Then fill the ATF though the correct port in the trans pan.

Whatever you do, don't start the car until you get at a couple of liters of fluid into the trans, and don't try to drive it until you fill the trans.

Shame on you if this is a joke.
Sorry if this came off as a joke, that certainlt wasn't my intention. I was simply going off my service manual instructions that states clearly that 01V trans is to be filled through the front diff check plug as they share fluid. I posted to get clarification on what the manual stated and your answers were correct. For that, I am most appreciatiave, the car as back on the road and good to go. I posted a pic of my serv manual, not sure if you'll be able to see it or not but my point is its apparently wrong, based on that, so was I.

Best Regards.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

That's a serious error for a service manual, good thing that you questioned it. I think your manual picture shows plug "A" as the "check plug", not the more accurate "check/fill" plug.