A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

back from infiniti and audi dealers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2000, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back from infiniti and audi dealers!!!

the dealers are side by side so i got the chance to drive both of them, one after the other. the audi was awesome, the inside is just dreamy, like the poster below states, the infinti interior is plastic and cheap looking, although the leather seats are pretty nice. also there were a ton of difference between the manual and automatic on the infiniti, the manual actually isn't that bad. the only thing holding me back from getting the audi is the price, the dealer wants $1200 over invoice, while they were willing to sell the infinit g20t at invoice. guys help me out, what can i do to get the audi guys to sell it at a lower price. or is the infiniti deal too good to past up.
Old 03-07-2000, 08:28 AM
adc
AudiWorld Member

Default It's up to you, but you really get what you pay for.

All things considered, the Audi is honestly playing in a different league - and for that, it's downright affordable.

Don't forget, for a measly $300 you can chip the A4 and burn rubber with a new category of cars.

I know what you're going through, I was in a similar spot. But between the G20 and the A4, there really isn't any contest.

adc

PS: why do you think the Infinity dealer is willing to go that low?
Old 03-07-2000, 08:48 AM

Default in my opinion...

The G20 (that's the one your talking about, right?) will be a forgotten model in a couple years, while this generation A4 will go down as one of the finest designs in recent times.

The extra money is well worth it (and are you comparing FWD to FWD or FWD to quattro?). Cost will be closer if FWD is compared (really the only apples to apples comparison).

Tom
1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 03-07-2000, 08:55 AM
RobK

Re: does infiniti have free scheduled maintenance?
Old 03-07-2000, 08:56 AM

Default Re: back from infiniti and audi dealers!!!

I was tempted by a Millennia S for awhile. Maybe if you expand your search you can find a '99 A4? I just bought one at invoice.
Old 03-07-2000, 09:04 AM

Default Re: It's up to you, but you really get what you pay for.

i told him carsdirect is selling it for $300 over invoice, he said he'll sell it at invoice.
Old 03-07-2000, 09:08 AM

Default It's not what you pay but what you get back

I got my '99 1.8TQMS around $2000 below invoice. It depends on what you want you can stretch the dealer and get the car you want. However, the G20 is not nearly as nice as the A4. If anything, compare it with the BMW 323i, there you will at least be comparing the same engineering way of thinking.
Old 03-07-2000, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Define what is most important to you...

You can't make an intelligent decision unless you first weigh your criteria. What is most important to you? price, fun drive, classy drive, styling, comfort, etc...
What sold me on the Audi was the build quality (interior is the best), it is a fun ride, and its looks are classic. Also, as mentioned below, the 3 year warranty program is offered and you cannot discount this forum for support and information.
Old 03-07-2000, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm sure you can find someone who will sell you an A4 at invoice...keep looking.
Old 03-07-2000, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It really comes down to which car YOU prefer, and what it's worth to YOU

Figure out your priorities and go for the car that fits them best. As for price negotiations, well perhaps this would work...I haven't tried it myself because I haven't needed to, but give it a shot. Explain to your salesman that you are going to write down the highest price you are willing to pay for a specific car with specific equipment (do your research so you know what a legitimate price is), ask him/her to write down the lowest price he/she can possibly sell that car to you for (recomend he/she speak with the manager/owner/whoever they need to first to get best possible price), make it clear that there will be no further negotiations and that if his/her lowest price is above your highest price you will walk, period. If their offer is below your offer you pay halfway between the two. Thus the dealer is guaranteed to sell the car for at least their minimum price, probably a bit higher, and you get your car for less than you were willing to pay. For this to be effective you should be prepared to buy the car or walk, this is a final decision tactic and you must make that clear. That said remember that the A4 is a VERY popular car that has been selling very well (check out the news item on the first page, Audi had its best February ever), Audi has been setting sales records almost since the release of the A4. About 5% over invoice is typical, though some have done better. Figure out which car you want, and how much it's worth to YOU, then go for it.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms

Quick Reply: back from infiniti and audi dealers!!!