A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Bose Symphony Radio Died - Any thoughts? (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Symphony Radio Died - Any thoughts? (Long)

I posted this a few days ago when it happened, but I thought I would give it another go-'round.

On Tuesday, by Bose Symphone head unit died. The timing perfectly coincided with getting my windows tinted with 35% metallic film (not reflective, just with metal content to prevent fading). Anyway, I got all of my windows tinted, including the back window, and the first time I got in my car after the tinting was completed my radio came up in safe mode. I was going to lunch, so I entered the code as I was driving. The head-unit turned on and I had access to the CD, radio stations, etc, but I had no sound coming from the speakers. I arrived at my house for lunch and I proceeded to check all of the fuses for a blown fuse. They were all fine. Then, I turned the radio on again, and it came up in safe mode again. I entered the code (again) and this time everything worked perfectly. I was happy and just attributed the occurence to the person doing the tinting - thought he probably bumped a wire, or something.

I ate lunch, came out to my garage to go back to the office, started the car and . . . nothing. The head-unit is completely dead now. No power, nothing. It's been like that since Tuesday.

Well, I freaked. That night I pulled the tinting off of the back glass and cleaned the glue with a citrus solvent (like goo-gone). I felt certain that the tinting must have been the cause (although I wasn't exactly sure why). The timing was too perfect for the tinting not to be related in some way, but the only thing I could come up with was that the tinting (with it's metal content) may have caused a short between the defrosting wires and the antennae on the back window. I know this is far-fetched, but it's the only thing that the tint came in contact with on the back window.

Any thoughts?

I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow, and I didn't mention the tint to the service manager. I only said that the radio is dead and described the sequence of events with the radio coming up in safe mode twice and then dying.

I'll know tomorrow what happened to the the head unit, but I can't really figure this one out.

I really like the tint that's on my side windows, and I know that many people here have gotten their windows tinted without any ill effects. It shouldn't have any effect on the radio, but the timing of these events is just too perfect to not consider the fact that they are related in some way.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:23 AM

Default It's broken.

At most the only thing that tinting windows could do with the radio is affect the reception. I can't even imagine how a clumsy, incompetant window tint installer could screw up your radio.

The only thing I can figger is that the head unit coincidentally broke when you got your tint done.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The only connection I could imagine......

is if the tint installers disconnected your battery since they'd have the doors open and didn't want to drain your battery. But they coulda just switched the lights off manually, so that seems not-so-likely. That would only explain the first SAFE mode, not the following one. Unless in the process, somehow the radio got a spike of voltage, which caused it's demise.

Depending on the installer, they may remove door panels to get the tint low enough on the window. Thus, they may have messed with speaker wiring, but doubtful again.

the window tint, while metallic, will not conduct electricity. I'm really sorry you pulled off your rear tint - DO NOT REMOVE ANY MORE!

Assuming the tinters are to blame, I would guess it was prop just related to the battery. not sure though.

By any chance to you have aftermarket Xenon headlights?
Old 05-16-2001, 08:33 AM

Default One thing that I have experienced....

when my windows were tinted was the fact that the tinter used an excessive amount of water. I noticed problems with my radio after I picked the car up from being tinted. Turned the radio on and got all kinds of popping and hissing. Barely audible radio too....

I called and asked WTF... and they said 'oh yeah...don't turn on your radio till it dries out. Or you could short something.' My thoughts? Thanks for the heads-up jackass.

Can you believe that? Maybe this is something similar - excessive amount of water.

As far as metallic goes it won't affect a thing unless you have a 2001 or later.... the antenna is in the rear window and the metallic will affect reception. Metallic may also affect your radar detector .... if you have one.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

so where do you think the antennas are before 2001???
Old 05-16-2001, 08:45 AM

Default Considering that my experience is limited to the...

2001 that I have, I have no idea. Therefore I could not comment acurately on models prior... and yes I am also referring to 2001.5 MY as well.

Guess you were reading a little more into the original post than you should have :-)
Old 05-16-2001, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

it's in the same spot on all A4 sedans
Old 05-16-2001, 11:24 AM

I do have Xenons, but I have OEM not aftermarket.
Old 05-16-2001, 01:32 PM

Default Thanks for the info. I'm betting that you're right. I thought it was a . . .

short from the beginning, but I was thinking that it was the metallic content in the tint. The fact that they use water to position the tint never occured to me.

I'll just have to wait and see what the dealer says tomorrow. I'm hoping it's just in a "shut-down mode" and can be revived. If not, I'm sure hoping that they just cover it under warranty and don't ask any questions.