A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

BPV to manifold tube proposal - thoughts, flames??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BPV to manifold tube proposal - thoughts, flames??

I have had it with the BPV boost / vac actuation line in my 98. This hose sucks, replacing it with a new hose isnt going to get me too far. The Forge BPV has a pretty large nipple and seems to stress the OEM tubing...in my case, after 4 years of heat and hi PSI mods the tube is just dry and brittle. I think its time for a hard hose retro-fit. Im kinda curious why SAMCO doesent do this hose, since they do every other hose in the charged air line. When my tube fails, I get little boost until 4-5K, then its big time boost. The tube seems to fail in a pin-hole fashion...different than if the tube was completely off the valve. Local speed shops have mentioned that Brake line or Aluminum tubing would make a nice hard line. Added benefit being almost ZERO swelling and an even crisper throttle response due to the even more instantaneous vac to pressure change. I am going to make a line mold out of some stiff, bendable wire. I will then transfer the bends to a hard line and tubing bender. Ill probably add small tube ends to accomodate the BPV nipple and the manifold nipple, with a convienent T fitting installed for the boost guage at the manifold side. Anyone do this already?? comments, concerns and flames welcome.
Old 10-24-2001, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

overkill.. i'm using a vac/windshield washer line for bpv, boost gauge and fpr.
Old 10-24-2001, 03:06 PM
kqw

Default Yeah.... go with the metal tubing. Try copper first. Its soft and ...

easy to bend. Sand it with exta fine emery cloth and paint with hi-temp in your favorite color or cover with steel braid. Many sizes of fittings and adapters at local hardware store for the beautiful Rube Goldberg thing. Good luck.