A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Can there really be that much of a difference? (springs-noob question)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can there really be that much of a difference? (springs-noob question)

I know this has been beat to death but, I just bought wheels (anxiously waiting....cough....Adam...cough), and I now want to do suspension because I hate stock height on 18"s, and improved handling is something I desire especially with all of these fun backroads around here. My question is what is the difference in springs? H&R Sport or Vogtland or Eibach, other than ride height and a nominal price difference.......they are just coiled metal. Also the shocks cannot be all that much different can they? Koni or Bilstien.....does it really even matter? The specs are so close on all, that it seems like a toss up - hail mary just give me those ones kind of thing. I've searched and it all seems to be personal opinion, also taking a ride in different cars w/ both setups is not an opiton, there's probably only 4 Audi's in town and they are all stockers. I currently have stock sport suspension.

-Tony
99.5 2.8qm
Old 01-27-2007, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Google: spring rates

I don't know much about suspensions. But not all springs are the same - read up on spring rates for more info.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i believe most would go for h&r or vogtland before eibach, but not sure why

iirc eibachs are a bit softer, while the former two are stiffer and may offer better handling. you probably can't go too wrong with either.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:24 PM

Default You have two separate considerations: final ride height and handling characteristics

With larger 18 inch wheels and a tire possibly in the 225 or 235/40 size you are already creating a FIRM ride even with the stock suspension. Take that into consideration before going with something considered HARD. I would make friends with a local tuner shop and show them what you have and what you plan to do with the car. You're just at the beginning of this so plan it out carefully over a large period of time or you'll end up with something you'll regret after driving over the first pothole. I would look at a lot of other people's A4 2.8s with 18-inch wheels and find the ride height you like the best, see what the setup is, and run that by people here and at the tuner shop. I don't know what your budget is but coilovers are another option since you can change your ride height at will. With regular coils you have no height adjustment capabilities.

Good luck........