A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Crack in windshield...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2000, 07:42 AM
Jager McConnell

Default Crack in windshield...need advice

Ugh, flat tire and cracked windshield and i'm not even at 8000 miles yet

Anyway here's the question.
I've got a crack in my windshield. I have full auto glass coverage but, I've just found out, I can't
have the dealer replace the glass (according to my insurance company)...it has to be an aftermarket glass shop. Which, apparently, uses a different glass manufacturer than audi...though, they claim, the tint and everything will be the same. Is this true?
Am I being taken in a scam?
Is there any disadvantage to having "real audi glass" opposed to some aftermarket shop putting it in?
Should I complain to my insurance company?
Thanks for any and all advice.
-Jager McConnell
99.5 2.8 QM with some pretty bad luck
Old 02-01-2000, 08:13 AM
JayP

Default With a 99.5 model, your insurance should allow Audi glass. (Had glass replaced in my '97) more-

If you want Audi glass, you should get it.
I did- but I still have a few waves in the glass. Evidently some aftermarket glass is less wavy, but other manufacturers make glass that doesn't quite fit the contour of the car.

I have State Farm- who pointed out to me that I can have factory glass.

Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2000, 08:18 AM
Stephen

Default Re: Crack in windshield...need advice

I also had to have my windshield replaced in my 98.5 A4 Avant at about 8,000 miles. After a 4,000 mile two-week road trip I was just a couple of hours from home when a truck kicked up a large rock. I was concerned about having the windshield replaced because of a bad experience with a previous (non-Audi) car. But I didn't have any problem having my insurance cover the work at my dealership and they did a perfect job. I believe the cost was around $600 and my deductible was $250. I personally would have been willing to shell out the whole $600 to have the right glass put in after my other experience. Good luck.

Stephen
98.5 A4 2.8 Avant QTS
Old 02-01-2000, 08:20 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Check the archives; USA glass better than Audi

- less prone to cracks due to hits
- less prone to sandblasting
- generally have less distortion

Had mine replaced by Safelite; used US glass made by (I think) Viracom. About same time had glass replaced on 993 with German OE glass. Audi has since put on twice the mileage that I put on the Porsche after both glass installations; Porsche is showing signs of sandblasting; Audi has none.
Old 02-01-2000, 10:38 AM
Mark P

Default I'm currently in the same situation - here's what I did last night:

I have a small chip on the driver's side of the windshield, not directly in my line of vision, but not too far off.

First I went to Safelite, and he said it could be filled.

Then I went to my neighbor's Auto Body shop. (Background: he is the only person I would trust to paint a car) I asked him where I should bring it and what he thought (repair vs replace). He suggested a place and told me who to talk to. He also said that some of the places use an inferior glass, but he's had good experiences with them.

So if possible, ask someone who is commonly in the need of replacing glass (like an auto body shop).

I don't have much time in the near future to stop, but I'll post when I do.

Oh, and I have 8900 miles on my '00 1.8TQMSX
Mark P
http://drive.to/marksa4
Old 02-01-2000, 11:43 AM
Jager McConnell

Default Update...

Well, I did in fact look through the archives and ran into something I didn't expect to see.
Well, other people seem to have the same crack in the same location.
It's a crack starting at the base of the windshield and is working its way up from behind my drivers winshield. I didn't remember hitting anything so perhaps this is a stress crack? It didn't even cross my mind until I read through the logs.
Well, I go in for my first service change tomorrow...I'll ask them to diagnose.

If a chip isn't visable and the crack starts at the bottom of the windshield is it definitely a stress fracture?
how will the dealer determine this if this isn't the way to test?
and finally, was this a flaw of the windshield or a flaw of the car? Is there a way to repair the car so it won't keep cracking windshields if it is the cause?

Thanks for the help This website is a godsend.

-Jager McConnell
99.5 2.8 QM ~8000 miles and a little stressed
Old 02-01-2000, 11:53 AM
Jager McConnell

Bob? Should this be added to the list of common problems? (nt)
Old 02-01-2000, 11:56 AM
doug

Default this is EXACTLY what i had... (more)

my dealer replaced the windscreen for me under warranty, due to the stress crack being a defect, not a result of a stone chip or other impact.

dont use insurance... this is audis problem...

dont worry, its covered.

maybe it is a common defect, because i drive a 99.5 as well... interesting...
Old 02-01-2000, 02:44 PM
Mark P

Audi will stick a ballpoint pen in the crack - If it stops, there's the point of impact
Old 02-01-2000, 03:15 PM
Bob

I plan to update soon - also turbo wastegate.