A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Cruise Control dead.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control dead.

Hey, I've tried searching the forum for this issue but couldn't find anything.

I have a 1997 A4 Quattro 2.8 5 spd. and my cruise control had died on me. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and have found a solution for it? I've looked into replacing the switch but wanted to see if that would really solve the issue. When the problem first started the cruise control would work for a few minutes then just stop and finally it just doesn't work at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Likely the switch...

I would normally say search, but I can't find anything since they changed the software. It is likely the switch, although everything in the system gives trouble. I've replaced both the switch and controller in mine, now it is reliable. I would start by trying to clean the switch, use electronic control cleaner spray (any electronic supply store) into the switch, rap a rag around it as you do this as it can get messy, then work the switch real good. Some folks have good luck with this, mine only came back for a while, but I knew to replace it then. Make sure you use a cleaner that is safe with plastics, it will say on the can. Good luck with it.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by David.Norton
I would normally say search, but I can't find anything since they changed the software. It is likely the switch, although everything in the system gives trouble. I've replaced both the switch and controller in mine, now it is reliable. I would start by trying to clean the switch, use electronic control cleaner spray (any electronic supply store) into the switch, rap a rag around it as you do this as it can get messy, then work the switch real good. Some folks have good luck with this, mine only came back for a while, but I knew to replace it then. Make sure you use a cleaner that is safe with plastics, it will say on the can. Good luck with it.
Thanks, I'll just the switches and see how that goes.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any word back on this? Mine is dead too...
Old 04-16-2009, 05:12 AM

Default CRUISE CONTROL

Where do one find the switch, cause mine (1997 2.8) is also dead.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:41 AM
Mr Mc Feely

Check the cruise control vac lines underneath the throttle body.. could have a cracked vac line or separated from the t fitting.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 AM

Same problem over here. I have cleaned the switch which didn't do anything, I also check the lines and they appear to be fine. The only other thing would be the module, I don't really want to spend $150 on a used one to find out it doesn't work. Does anyone know if there is anyway to check the module.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its never the module!

People want to sell you the module though!

Clean your switch and if that fails, try the module. Electric cleaner is only 5 bucks to try first.

I replaced the module in mine, to find out it was the switch... So if anyone doesn't believe me and needs a module, PM me. lol
Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How do i get to the switch etc? Procedure..?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quit shouting. Go to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control dead.