A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Did I blow up my ECU

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I blow up my ECU

Looking for some opinions here. Like many others in the past, I left my interior light on (actually, my son did) and the battery went dead. I attempted to jump it, but it did not want to start. I ended up replacing the battery, it would not hold a charge.

Now I have the typical problems that should be fixed by resetting the codes and doing the throttle body adaptation. The car will not do the adaptation on it's own, so I ordered a VAG cable from Ebay.

The cable and software work fine on my wife's '00 Beetle with the same 1.8T engine as my '98 A4. I cannot get the ecu on the Audi to respond at all. I always get 'no response from controller'. I also have a generic OBDII reader which only gives me "E" for error. I know that the Ebay cables are not always the best, but the fact that it works on the VW and that I also get an error on the generic reader leads me to believe that I blew up the ECU when I jumped it.

Any thoughts or opinions?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Elder Member

Take out the ecu and open it up to check.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it start and run or not?
Old 03-03-2007, 02:58 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Unless you jumped it with a golf cart...

ECU is probably fine. Find someone with a known working cable, and try adapting it.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Does the CEL illuminate when you try to crank???

If not, then your ECU is bad.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Did I blow up my ECU

The CEL does come on. The car will start, barely, You have to feather the throttle when starting it, then it will start, then die a few times before it will stay running. Once it's running, it idles at 400 RPM, when you give it throttle, it nearly dies, then revs to 3500 RPM. It won't run anywhere between 400 and 3500. When it's running, the CEL is on.

I've opened the ECU and don't see anything obvious as far as burned spots on the board or 'popped' components.

Is it possible to kill just portions of the ECU? If it's not the ECU, why will two different readers not connect? I suppose there is the possibility that the connection between the connector inside the car and the ECU is bad.

Anyone have suggestions on someone in the Kansas City area that can test the ECU?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If the CEL lights up, you did not toast your ECU!!!

Quit ****ing with it!!

You need to do a TBA, the old school way.

Pull the cable off the negative side of the battery, leave it alone, come back in ten minutes and re-connect it.
Now put the key in the ignition, do not touch the gas pedal and turn the key to the on position, leave it there for TWO (2) minutes (120 seconds). If you listen closely, you will hear the Throttle Body Adaptation occuring. After two minutes, turn the key to off.
Now crank it up and tell us what it is doing.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Old School TBA is a No Go

I've already tried disconnecting the battery on several occassions - sometimes up to several days. I've also pulled the ECU clear out, not that pulling the ECU should work better than just disconnecting the batter, but it made me feel better. I just tried it again this morning. It still will not do the TBA.

I found someone on another board who had the same problem. I guess sometimes the ECU will set a code when the ignition is switched on which prevents it from doing the TBA.

So, I need to reset the code, then manually do the TBA with the VAG, except I can't get the VAG to communicate with the ECU, so I'm stuck.

I guess my next step is to find a shop with a good VAG that is also close enough that I can limp the car to it, unless someone has a better suggestion.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Then it is not your ECU, check the connection under the dash..

pull it down and see if you are getting a good connection.

You may have a fault at the throttle position switch in the throttle body that is causing the TBA to fail. The easiest way to check is to remove the throttle body and clean it. The switch will generally reset then.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shows what you know :P... i didn't have to replace the ecu.. twas fine

Quick Reply: Did I blow up my ECU