A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Does anyone clean the inside of their wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-1999, 05:47 AM
Just Wondering

Default Does anyone clean the inside of their wheels?

Is brake dust, salt, etc. detrimental to the inside of the alloy wheels? It would be such a hassle to jack up the car to do so all the time.
Old 04-14-1999, 05:50 AM
Steve S.

Default I do it when I rotate tires...and occasionally when I am bored...

I take the wheels off...and clean and polish them...it makes it easier to clean later.<p>To answer you...yes...that stuff ruins the surface of the wheels.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 04-14-1999, 05:51 AM
ep

Default Re: Does anyone clean the inside of their wheels?

I found a conical brush at my Audi dealer that lets me get in between the spokes to the back side of the rim. Works like a charm without busted knuckles.
Old 04-14-1999, 06:03 AM
Richard G

Ditto, I also do it when I rotate the tires.
Old 04-14-1999, 06:05 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Every time I wash the car...

I'm pretty **** about washing my car...I picked up a "Detailer's Choice" brush @ Pep Boys which is like a stiff plastic-sponge material on a stick. Works great for reaching back into the inner surface of the wheels. I also reach around the backside of each spoke with a sponge to clean that too. When I swap summer wheels/tires over to winter wheels/tires I take the opportunity to clean the wheels even more. I use bug & tar remover on the tar spots and either Meguiar's cleaner-wax or their clearcoat-safe metal polish on the outside surface. If I'm feeling really picky, I'll through on a coat of Carnuba wax also.<p>Washing my car is pretty time-consuming for me...between the wheels, washing in and around my roof rack, etc...I probably spend close to 1.5 hours washing/drying my car.<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, Euro Headlights...<br>
Old 04-14-1999, 06:19 AM
Matt Daniels

Default 1.5 hours cleaning your car?

Thats it?? And you call your self ****.<p>I recently spent 4 hours doing the exterior of the car, but of course I did all the door jams, under the hood and trunk, the engine compartment, and anyplace else I could reach without too much trouble. I even cleaned each slot in the grill seperatly. Once I was done, I was too tired to do the inteior in the same way, so I just quickly wiped it down. I could have easily spent all day cleaning the car if I would have started earlier. <p>I would say that a "normal" wash job - wash, dry, interior, etc, - is about 1 to 1.5 hours.<p>Matt
Old 04-14-1999, 06:35 AM
MarkG

Default I did for about 3 weeks after I bought the car

Then I got tired off it. Too big of a hassle for a part of the car you don't even see. I used to use dishwashing sponge on a stick to get inside the tire. I would wash the inside if I had to take off the tire for any reason though.<p>Mark (98.5 2.8 QMS)
Old 04-14-1999, 06:38 AM
donp

Default Re: 1.5 hours cleaning your car?

Matt, I'm with you... 3hrs is about my normal with 4-5 hours when I'm really "in the mood" to pamper my baby. 1hr is a quickie touch-up.
Old 04-14-1999, 06:40 AM
Dave M

I wash the wheels inside and out every time I wash the car (along with the wheel wells, around the door jambs, trunk and hood openings, gas filler lid, etc.). To clean the inside of the wheels, I use a sponge drinking glass cleaner that can be found at just about any large grocery store. It is a sponge ball/star on the end of a plastic stick (so you can clean the inside bottom of tall glasses). It makes cleaning the wheels very easy, and it even fits between the front brake calipers and the wheel (and they are really inexpensive).<p>Dave M - '97 1.8tm
Old 04-14-1999, 06:44 AM
cll

I disassemble the entire care every time I wash it, it's amazing where the dirt creeps in. Really though, you might want to clean the insides when you rotate tires. Otherwise, I've never bothered.

Quick Reply: Does anyone clean the inside of their wheels?