A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Downshifting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-1999, 07:26 PM
GT

Default Downshifting?

Hey all... was wondering if anyone could explain the proper way of downshifting, or if it's even recommended (as opposed to just using the brakes)? Right now, I'm downshifting by... let's say I'm going 50mph in 4th and I need to stop at a light far ahead... I apply the brakes and when the car hits around 30mph, I'll shift into third and slowly let out the clutch while still applying brakes... then I'll do the same when I hit around 20mph and then I shift into neutral around 10mph and use brakes. Is this at least the proper way to downshift? TiA!!<br>
Old 06-13-1999, 07:32 PM
Cris

Default don't do it at rpm above 1500...

I remember reading some of my other Audi (or is it Porsche) owners manual, do not downshift when the engine speed is above 1500rpm. It concerns more of the engine speed, than vehicle speed.<p>Cris<br>
Old 06-13-1999, 07:34 PM
TM

Default If you know you're stopping far ahead, if you can, put it in neutral and coast. Use your brakes when you can because they are cheeper to replace.

Old 06-13-1999, 07:48 PM
Dale Kirstein

Default Re: Downshifting?

The only purpose to downshifting that I know of is to put your car into the right gear to accelerate out of a slow area, such as a turn. Engines are better at making cars go than slow down. If you are using downshifting to help slow the car when coming to a stop, that's an expensive and inefficient substitute for the brakes. If you are coming to a stop, just put in the clutch as you get close to stopping and go to neutral. If you are ,for example, slowing into a turn, and then need to exit in a lower gear, then the best suggestion I have is to try and match engine revs when you downshift. That means you will have to rev the engine a little when you let the clutch out. Of course if you have one foot on the clutch and the other on the brake, that can be tricky. You may have to pick a time to shift just before you get on the brake. (I won't go into toe and heeling or (Gulp) double clutching! If you can match revs on a downshift the release will be silky smooth. The added benefit is that your clutch will last longer if you can regularly match revs un downshifts. I'm probably rambling here, it's been a long day!<p>
Old 06-13-1999, 08:11 PM
GT

Default I've heard from people that it's not safe to just shift into neutral to stop because if you need to accelerate quickly to avoid something, you might not have enough time to shift into gear and do so?

<br>nt
Old 06-13-1999, 08:12 PM
Becker...

Default It's a skill...

but if you do it well, there shouldn't be any ill effects of downshifting, at any engine speed. The key, as Dale noted, is matching the engine speed, oh, and don't bounce off the rev limiter, that's not so good. I have had three stick shift cars, an Integra w/ 90K miles and the original clutch, an Eclipse GSX w/ 60K miles and the original clutch, and now my A4. I downshift ALL the time, although very rarely into first. In addition to giving you more available power, it is a safety issue. If you are in traffic, and you are coasting in neutral, you have a delayed ability to react to any situation where you might need to accellerate, especially if you haven't mastered the ability to match the engines speed in any given gear. Just my two cents, but I think it is a critical skill for any stick driver.
Old 06-13-1999, 08:52 PM
Cameron

Default Agreed, and you can downshift at 3000rpm or higher...

Just have an idea where you will end up. VW products used to have little markings on the speedometer to help you understand the practical difference between the ratios, but the A4 doesn't have these. Experiment, because downshifting at 1500rpm isn't always what life throws at the driver.<p>Cameron
Old 06-13-1999, 10:33 PM
Type SH

Default Brake pads are cheap, your clutch is expensive ... (more)

Don't downshift to slow down unless you are rev-matching the engine speed and the vehicle speed. What you are doing is bascially riding the clutch and let the clutch "catch up" to the car's speed. Take your car down to an empty parking lot and practice rev match first, know where and how much you need to blip the throttle to match rpm. Then learn how to do heel-toe. It's hard at first, but interesting as you go through the process. In the beginning you might have trouble controlling the brake pressure with your heel off the floor, but it'll come to second nature in a while. Right now when I hit a turn, I downshift from 3rd to 2nd while braking. I brake till slower speed, clutch in while still holding the brake and blip the throttle with my heel shift and let go off the clutch. That way you'll reduce clutch wear and at the same time, you'll have the control you want in case you need to accelerate for any emergency reasons. Sometimes when you are all tired just use brakes, don't ride the clutch if you don't want to rev-match. A set of new brake pads are always cheaper than a new clutch. Anyway, rev-matching is fun ... it's pretty cool hehe.<p>~Prelude Type SH