A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Driveline Lash - Drivetrain Slap - bucking - jerking

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-1999, 09:24 AM
Steve

Default Driveline Lash - Drivetrain Slap - bucking - jerking

Hi All,<p>I have a very obnoxious problem that I mentioned a couple weeks back... starting at around 19K miles, my car now jerks when releasing the gas pedal slightly. The dealer acknowledged the problem enough to check the differential mounting, but finding no problem there, has decided to pass the problem on to the Audi rep who is unavailable for several more weeks.<p>I got a couple of replies on my last post asking about this problem (thanks to those who replied BTW). However, I haven't yet found anyone who has had this problem resolved. Is there anyone who has successfully dealt with this issue? <p>I'm also interested in any rundowns people might be able to give on what components are involved from the time the gas pedal is released to the time the car slows down... maybe the dealer wasnt looking in the right area when they looked at the differential?<p>All replies are much appreciated!<br>Thanks
Old 06-19-1999, 09:00 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Re: Driveline Lash - Drivetrain Slap - bucking - jerking

couple of thoughts:<br>1) Believe there is a center driveshaft bushing that might cause this<br>2) Did they check engine mounts?<br>3)You didn't say engine type or if it is a wimp stick or manual tranny. My experience on 30V with manual tranny is that there is some type of "damper" in the intake system/throttle plate such that whenever you lift off gas, engine RPM will slowly return to idle (makes it a royal PITA to make a smooth shift, since RPM hangs up). If you have a manual and RPM quickly drops to idle on a shift, this "gizmo" might not be working.