A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Enging Stalls Randomly!! Help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enging Stalls Randomly!! Help?

I have a manual 97' A4 quattro. It stalls very randomly...

It usually starts in the morning when its been sitting all night, but if I come up to a stop sign and shift down to first and stop... it stalls. So far, it has restarted every time after I've tried restarting it a few times.

Its been doing this for a few months. It always starts back up but its so random when it stalls. It also smells like gas when I'm trying to restart it.

I have taken it to my mechanic and he cant figure it out. Very frustrating. Left the car with him for a few days and ofcourse it doesn't stall.

Anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks!!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=alloyd85;24063894]I have a manual 97' A4 quattro. It stalls very randomly...

It usually starts in the morning when its been sitting all night, but if I come up to a stop sign and shift down to first and stop... it stalls. So far, it has restarted every time after I've tried restarting it a few times.

Its been doing this for a few months. It always starts back up but its so random when it stalls. It also smells like gas when I'm trying to restart it.

I have taken it to my mechanic and he cant figure it out. Very frustrating. Left the car with him for a few days and ofcourse it doesn't stall.

Thanks!![/QUOTE

I had a similar issue with my '96 A4 and it turned out to be the coolant temperature sensor. Does your coolant temp. gauge read normal? In any case, this part was inexpensive and not too hard to replace. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alloyd85
I have a manual 97' A4 quattro. It stalls very randomly...

Thanks!!
If it's a V6 it could be the ICV sticking.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely agree with AudiMick. It sounds like your ICV or maybe even your throttle body. The throttle bodies are pretty easy to clean on the 12v v6. My suggestion would be to remove that and check for carbon buildup. You'll be able to see if it's dirty right away when you take it off, there are DIYs how to do it too. Also if you want to start cheap look into seafoam. Running it through my fuel lines, vacuum lines, and crank case fixed that same problem on my 30v B5.

Best of luck and let us know.