A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Euro Projector Install PICS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-1999, 11:22 AM
Drew S.

Default Euro Projector Install PICS

I have finally put together a small web page showing the install of euro projector headlights on my 1998.5 A4.

The text in minimal and there are several pictures. Check out the link.<ul><li><a href="http://members.aol.com/drewinva/audi/euro_conversion.html">DREW'S A4 EURO HEADLIGHT CONVERSION SUMMARY</a></li></ul>
Old 11-16-1999, 11:38 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Drew, a question...

First of all, nice write-up! How did you cut/grind the extra fender metal off? Metal snips? Dremel grinder tool? Something else? Just curious...

Andy Hedin
Old 11-16-1999, 11:53 AM
Drew S.

Default Grinding worked best.

I thought I was going to use a Dremel tool to cut it. The vendor said they used tip snips to cut slits (like teeth) in the metal and then a Dremel to take off a piece at a time.

My neighbor has a larger more industrial strength cutting tool. The advantage is that it cut with more ease, but the disadvantage was that with a much larger cutting wheel, it couldn't be as precise as a Dremel.

After cutting the first fender, we used a heavy duty grinder to finish the job. At this point, we found that the grinder did a better job all by itself. So, on the second fender we just used the grinder to take all of the unwanted fender material off.

These were the most tense moments for me. Slip up with a cutter or grinder and you could really hurt a pretty car.
Old 11-16-1999, 12:11 PM
marco

Default Re: Drew, a question...

Drew,
How much were the projector lights form
Greedspeed...Are these just like the lights
found on the 99.5's///
Old 11-16-1999, 12:14 PM
Josh Pinkert

Default Re: Drew, nice

I'd like to check out your car sometime. Do you go to any QCUSA meetings?

- Josh
- '98 A4q 2.8
- '72 911T
Old 11-16-1999, 12:29 PM
kc

Default Why the amber lights instead of clear?

nt
Old 11-16-1999, 12:31 PM
Rich L.

Default Super Cool!

Thanks for making the pictues available. I am planning the same upgrade. GreedSpeed is supposed to call me when the next set of lights comes in.

Is the outside cover glass or some variety of plastic? Are you going to use one of those stone shield products to protect your investment?

Rich L.
99 1.8TAQMS
Old 11-16-1999, 12:57 PM
Drew S.

Default Haven't yet...

I usually just park next to you at sushi restaurants but avoid talking to you!! ;-)

If you want to get together to see them that would be fine. Also, feel free to drop me an email before the next meeting to make sure I know about it. I don't know when or where you have the meetings.
Old 11-16-1999, 01:13 PM
Drew S.

Default Price: $629 + shipping. MORE about the lights...

Yes, they are projectors like the 99.5's but they are not the same light. For one thing, they don't have the orange triangle in the corner that the U.S. lights have.

Also, since they are Euro lights, they behave like other Euro lights, meaning the lighting pattern is different that the U.S. lights. They have the noticable sharp cutoff that really needs to be seen to be understood. I have not compared the lighting pattern to a 99.5 due to the fact that I have no access to a 99.5 and don't know anyone in my area with those lights.

I have looked at 99.5 lights on cars in parking lots and the corner lights are different in a small but perhaps significant way. On the U.S. lights, you can see the orange bulb inside the housing. On these Euro lights, the bulb in mounted inside a cylinder that focuses the light through a forward lens, and also backwards into the light housing. The bulb itself is not seen (from the front or side). When the Euro lights flash, the view from straight on is quite bright. I really need to see a 99.5 to compare sometime.

If you look at the profile shot of the mounted light on my car (the 9th picture on the page) you should be able to see this cylinder that I am talking about.

Finally, the Euro lights have "city lights" which are little low wattage bulbs used in Europe but not in the U.S. The city lights don't really project any usable light on the road. What they do is light up the light housing on your car, so that it is visible to other drivers. I think the idea is that in a well-lit city, you don't need to use your driving lights to see, but you want some sort of light so that other drivers can see you. This is the city light concept as I understand it.

The city lights are visible and are in the high beam light housing. If you look at the first picture on my page, in the high beam part of the housing is a black dot at about two o'clock. that is the city light bulb. The high beam bulb is in the center of the housing.

I will add this info to the web page.
Old 11-16-1999, 01:14 PM
Drew S.

Default Plastic face

The front is plastic unlike previous version of Euro lights which were glass. I haven't considered a stone shield but that's a good idea.

Do they affect the light output/pattern?

Quick Reply: Euro Projector Install PICS