A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

To everyone jumping ship and posting negative comments..

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audiTLC
what's killing this forum is all the off-topic junk in the B5 tech forum. mods need to move all of it into feedback so we can actually see some b5 tech discussion
STFA NOOB Nothing useful will come right away, tons of info was lost like in the great AZ crash of 07'.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Emocations kick ****
Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ModifiedA4
nice one noob.
go to friggin Audizine. whats the difference now?
Uhh... AZ has a better implementation of VB, and thousands of happy users...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I strongly agree that the keys to the old system were the "tree view" and the way that the system did not encourage "bumps" while highlighting signatures. The focus was the content and enabling discussion. This version of vB doesn't encourage discussion nearly as well as the old system.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default bothersome

Considering the last news I heard was that we were going to get threads, I don't see how being kind of irate isn't in order. New forum doesn't seem to last past 10 pages. Fantastic for archiving good posts...

Maybe it is harsh, but we've been having a good time in our little clubhouse and now somebody came in with a bulldozer, plopped down some prefab house that has rooms too small to get everyone in without pressing "next page", made "meetings" take longer, and they expect us to LIKE it? I mean, are you serious? They saw our nice house and said "We're destroying that thing. We'll try and make your new one like it, but no promises."

I know it's all about the people... bla bla bla... but if you had to make an hour commute every day to meet up versus walking down the street, you're gonna have to start thinking twice about how much time you're willing to put into this community.

I think our mods deserve credit. I do. I don't think the "genius" who decided one year of work trying to beat a vB into AudiWorld calling it "making the community better" deserves any credit. Really, now the only differentiator between AW and AZ is.... what, now?

vB takes too long to navigate, takes too long to digest information, and is generally worse for how AW is used to communicating. Some people would rather just quit than have to put up with the hassle.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hmm

I respect your position and can see your point. But this post is a good example of why AW sucks now. What thread am I replying too? Should I quote your text? Then I have to scroll down an entire screen just to see a reply...KAWF made AW what it was. It allowed the users to talk to each other and get to know each other in a unique way. We were on AW because of KAWF. The knowledge gained was because the users wanted to communicate information with each other, not show garages,avatars, spend 12 years scrolling through a thread to find an answer, et al.

IB decided to tell us to STFU and deal with it. Well we dont have to, (quattro)(world).com is picking up where AW left us. We have to rebuild all that information, but it will be done. Imagine, being able to STFA and actually read through tech articles with ease! A miracle! The B5 Faq is a good example of what is wrong with this format.

Asshats, all of them.

I know this has been discussed to death, it just sucks. I have been on AW for 6 years now...I was attached, as much as a person can be, to the forum. I clicked ads, I purchased from sponsors, I felt like I was part of the community. Now I just feel like another user on a bland forum.

*bump*
*ttt*
Old 03-17-2009, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ModifiedA4
nice one noob.

some of us have spent 10+ years here. You have no idea how this forum developed. You have no clue on its history. And you have no right to tell us how to post here. You are 116,003 user after I joined.

go to friggin Audizine. whats the difference now?
difference is i'm stayinga and you are not, correct? so unlike you, i would like to give them more than 24 hrs to sort thru implementation of vb.

i have every "right" to make a suggestion, just like you are.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^ And replies like that are what is going to kill any sort of technical discussion around here. We'll have 30-page long threads about pics of some dude's ugly A4, while all the serious discussion will get buried b/c the 'people who know' are far out numbered by those merely interested in seeing something entertaining.

This pisses me off most, b/c before AW, I didn't even know how to change my oil. Last year, I did my own homebrew turbo setup... And it was all thanks to the great people that were here, and the usability of KAWF that made that information accessible. Period. I never learned jack from AZ... I only lurked there for the classifieds... And, well, to stare at TighTT's car. :P
Old 03-17-2009, 08:32 AM
HJB
AudiWorld Senior Member

OK, I'll try not to be negative. Tell me something positive about the new format? What was all this work for? Really.

Originally Posted by RallyVermont
Enough. I'm pretty sure none of you realize how much hard work has gone into the forums over the past 7 or so years, more so in the past year dealing with IB to make this as smooth of a transition as possible.

Moderators on the forum, especially Kris, have spent countless hours each day working with IB to ensure some of the soul is/was left in AW. None of the moderators get paid for the long hours of work, they simply do this to make sure you have a place to converge, discuss, talk about goats and maybe share some thoughts about your B5.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

You're taking this personally, and it's not personal. I'll give credit to those that tried, but their efforts were wasted. Someone at IB made a decision to throw out the most useful features of Kawf in exchange for other things. So the train got pushed down the tracks and we, the moderators and forum creators got shoved under it.

I'm sorry, but I used to be able to scan through 5 forums and numerous threads in a minute, glancing at the things that I was interested in, ignoring the rest. A single thread could evolve into multiple discussions (sometimes useful, many times...well...). Now...it takes so long that I can't bother. Searches are a mixed bag. I think going forward the new search will be more useful, but archived content is FUBAR'd (forum FAQ for one).

Let me be very clear...the posts you're reading aren't whiners and the few that will quiet down once "they get used to it". People are trying to communicate their sincere frustration with this new format. There is no getting used to it, it is what it is, and a compromise has been made whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

And since there might be some doubt, this was posted in response to Rally, but I didn't feel like quoting his entire post.

Quick Reply: To everyone jumping ship and posting negative comments..