A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Flickering Warning Lights ** Please Help!!!!! **

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flickering Warning Lights ** Please Help!!!!! **

I'm having an issue when driving that some of my warning lights flicker. This only happens while moving and not parked.

I found that if I open my trunk (while parked) the warning light for the trunk will illuminate and flicker every 10 or so seconds (although it happens randomly) it kind of seems like voltage spikes to me.

I have tried messing with the fuses for the cluster.. reseating the ECU.. disconnecting battery.. also the battery has been replaced less then 4 months ago.. I do have two 12 inch subs so I guess my next place to look would be alternator?? any other suggestions??
Old 06-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Joey T

Default Remove any and all aftermarket parts.

make sure no one used scotchlock connectors on anything installed. Check IP for codes. Get back to me.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Remove any and all aftermarket parts.

I did some more testing last night.. so when the car is off with accessory mode on the light for the trunk open light stays solid no flickering..

which makes me think the cluster is OK.

as soon as I turn on the car the trunk light starts to flicker randomly.. I tried turning everything in the car on/off to see if something was shorting out.. I even pulled the fuses for almost everything and it still flickered..

BUT! when I have the ebrake pulled up the brake light comes on and it stops flickering.. as soon as I release ebrake the light flickers again.. I have had the ABS light on due to the common driverside side airbag and didn't notice this issue.. I recently cleared the code and started noticing this problem..

So it seems as long as theres another light on the cluster it won't flicker which is beyond me... the only aftermarket piece I have is the chipped ECU and it seems to be running fine..

so it seems to be something with the charging system??? if you have anything else I should try please let me know..

THANKS!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Try this

I had a similar problem after replacing the valve cover gasket. It ended up being a whire that is on the harness with the coilpack wires. The wire is conected to the valve cover gasket and seems to be a ground of some sort. Evidently it was loose and this was causing my dash lights to flicker. Worth a shot.