A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Got Birdy Pooped Again! >:-(( Super Sad...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-1999, 12:25 AM
J. Seb

Default Got Birdy Pooped Again! >:-(( Super Sad...

That's TWiCE on our less than 5-month-old 99.5 A4 (Black, by the way).

Found the spot in less than 3 hours but it was too late. The clearcoat (or something else) is gone and it left several spots on the hood this time. Clear and soft spots. Can not rub off or scrape off...nothing works - same as last time.

Tried some Mothers Showtime and Meguiar's Glaze (#7, I think) -- that's all I have. No use.

Clay bar? Yeah, it might work but also might scratch the car pretty bad.

I'm predicting that if I get the bird droppings 5 times a year, just 5 times a year, the A4 will be left with these nasty marks all over after 5 years.

/Seb 99.5 QSTip/BBlack
Old 10-16-1999, 02:37 AM
Seb

I Know How it Feels, Man...Its gonna be tough, but hang in there...
Old 10-16-1999, 04:28 PM
J. Seb

Default Will ask Dealer see if they can do something about the stains

nt
Old 10-16-1999, 06:03 PM
Philip Maland

Any wax on the car? If so, it ate through wax AND clearcoat?
Old 10-16-1999, 06:45 PM
Rick (Virginia)

Default I've used claybar on alot of cars (not black though) and it has never scratched...

You just have to keep it lubricated with a detailing spray and use a fresh piece of clay. It will, hwoever, strip all the wax off, so you have to rewax it.
Why dont you try it out on a part of the car you cant see (like in the engine compartment). You'll se that it does a good job if used correctly.
(BTW I use Meguiars clay and detailing spray, but I thing Mothers is good too)
Rick
Yellow 99.5 1.8T (Bright enough that I can't see dirt on my car...)
Old 10-16-1999, 10:12 PM
J. Seb

Default Only a very thin coat of wax...not enough to fight the acidic bird dropping.

nt
Old 10-16-1999, 10:16 PM
J. Seb

Default Yellow easier to maintain? ...

Does the dirt show easily on the Audi yellow paint? Just curious. ;-)

I bet most bird droppings would also leave stain marks on your car though. Any experience yet?

I got a pack of Mothers Clay Bar System about one month ago. I was about to use it yesterday but found that the clay inside the plastic bag is filled with molds!

Yeah, I will need to take it back to the auto supply shop to exchange for another package.

I will first try the clay bar on my old car, a beige Acura Integra.

/Seb
Old 10-17-1999, 05:47 AM
Andy

Default It would appear that Audi Paint is

very sensitive to acidic "fall out" such as bird droppings, pine sap, and insect splatters. Our 1 month ols hibicus red avant had a 1" spot on it's roof. I called carcareonline.com, they were very helpful and suggested 3M imperial hand glaze to remove spots. After trying this with no luck, I went to a reputable detail shop. They were able to get the spot out without a lot of aditional scratching, although I don't know what they used. I may try a paint "protector" however I have my doubts about this also. There is no doubt that the dark colors are more prone to this problem due to the effect of heat build up-it bakes the stain on. Good luck AB