A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Guess what? Left my sunrroof open last night by accident, and it rained! Can you say "LOSER"?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-1999, 06:36 AM
JT

Default Guess what? Left my sunrroof open last night by accident, and it rained! Can you say "LOSER"?!

I can recall starting to hear it rain last night as I laid there in bed. I thought to myself, "perfect" as I knew the rain would clean off the light film of dirt that blanketed my car, courtesy of my company's lawn crew! That's another story, though! Anyway, I awoke and...<br>opened my blinds this morning, looked out into the driveway and noticed I had left the sunroof open! I rubbed my eyes and said "NO!?!", especially considering it rained last night! I immediately grabbed my remote and closed it from inside the house(thanks A4.Org)! Well, grabbed a towel and ventured into the car. I immediately noticed a bit of a "moldy" smell! MAN! What a LOSER! Anyway, the console was still a bit wet(including cell phone), so I wiped it down and placed the towel on my wet front seat and drove to work. Any other idiots =) do this, too? If so, any advice/suggestions/comments, etc.?
Old 05-19-1999, 06:50 AM
JohnIL

The electric skylights in my house have rain sensors that automatically shut the skylights. Maybe that sensor could be wired to the sunroof somehow
Old 05-19-1999, 06:51 AM
Cris

Default I did, but not as bad as you... :)

I left the sunroof tilted, the sunroof screen closed.... by the time it poured, I was a good 15 minutes run away from my car. I didn't even bother running back... I just stared out the window. Needless to say, the screen collected water, seats were damped, as with the arm rest. Oh, did I mention that everytime I hit my brakes, water came pouring in! <br>Live and learn... Now, everything closes.<p>Cris<br>
Old 05-19-1999, 07:34 AM
Rich L.

Run the A/C a lot to get the moisture out.
Old 05-19-1999, 08:15 AM
MichaelA

Dry out ASAP using electric fans, don't leave car closed while it's wet inside or it will smell musty forever. Good luck.
Old 05-19-1999, 09:00 AM
DaveN

Default Maybe using an extra key FOB...

I've been thinking that a feature like this wuld be nice, afterall high end Audis already have automatic wipers with a rain sensor, seems like it would be easy for the manufacturer to integrate it into the car. The only drawback is that there could be safety concerns, I'm not sure that you would want the windows (or sunroof) moving around with no one present (or maybe just the kid with his hand in the window). I think that is why you have to hold the key in the lock, or the button on the FOB to close the windows, if something goes wrong you just let go, if it was fully automatic you would have to actively tell it to stop, something not everyone is good at in an emergency. I know it has pinch protection, but it is still a good amound of force.
Old 05-19-1999, 09:21 AM
randall

which ones have the rain sensor? (NT) --other than the jetta
Old 05-19-1999, 09:24 AM
Cris

Make sure it doesn't rain again while you're doing this!
Old 05-19-1999, 11:17 AM
DaveN

Default I think the A8 does...

but my memory may be playing tricks on me and it might be the Jetta.
Old 05-19-1999, 11:32 AM
Greg W

Default That is SO wrong.... Not dissing VW owners, but a Jetta shouldn't have options unavailable on the A4 or A6.

t

Quick Reply: Guess what? Left my sunrroof open last night by accident, and it rained! Can you say "LOSER"?!