A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help! Check Engine Light Anyone with VAG in RI/MA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 04:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Check Engine Light Anyone with VAG in RI/MA?

Today while driving to work my check engine light went on. It happened just as I came to a stop in traffic on the highway. A few seconds later my car stalls. I started it again and it seemed to run ok. My light is still "on" though "it is not blinking". Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be or are there too many possibilities. Also I had just used a bottle of techron fuel injection cleaner and have about 1/4 tank of gas, also recently I used a bootle of that gas line antifreeze/water remover.

Does anyone have a VAG tool I could use? I'm in the SouthEastern MA(Fall River)/RI (Providence)areas.

Tahnks in advance for any comments/ help!
Old 01-23-2003, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default VAG Tool Locator

Click the link below to see if there is one in your area.<ul><li><a href="http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl">VAG Tool Locator Link</a></li></ul>
Old 01-23-2003, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Help! Check Engine Light Anyone with VAG in RI/MA?

NoelMoniz:

I had the same exact thing occur to me Wednesday morning ('97 2.8 Quattro). I am getting a VAG tool Friday night and can e-mail you with the results. I think it has to do with the Idle Control Valve which is known to cause these symptoms when they are dirty. The other possibility I can think of is the extreme cold and the fact that we both had about a quarter tank of gas (condensation in the fuel line). Has anyone else here had these issues lately?
Old 01-23-2003, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your reply and keep me posted on the results. Assuming this light coming on was was just a fluke and nothing needs to be fixed can i just reset the light? Will I still need a VAG tool to reset the light?
Old 01-23-2003, 06:55 AM

Yes you will need a VAG tool to reset the check engine light even if the fault was caused by a fluke. Unforunately, I am not that close to you if you were interested in borrowing a VAG, check the link below that lists VAG owners who are willing to help others out.