A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help me keep my Audi..(kinda boring and long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me keep my Audi..(kinda boring and long)

I'm having a little family trouble...my dad has left us for almost a year now, but the court case over the divorce is still going on as we speak. Before the separation, we were pretty well off financially. Since then, everything has fallen apart. I'm currently living with my mother, which she is unemployed, and having a real hard time finding a job. I am a full-time student at university, I saved up enough before to put myself through year 1 of post-secondary, however I do not think I could keep my A4 and go to school the following year at the same time. Recently, I got the MOD BUG!!! I want to put all the money I have now into my car, but I know this may not be the best idea at this time, and if I do put all this money and effort by the end of the year it may not even be mine. I cannot seem to find a part-time job so far, and I am not the brightest student, so even if I do get a job I may not be able to handle school as well.
I dunno why I'm putting this on this forum, but I really would like to keep my Audi for a couple more years. Any suggestion on how I could make fast-cash? I couldn't even get a loan from the gov't to pay for school, since I had a pretty reputatble background financially.

Any input would be very helpful....Thanks
Old 02-08-2002, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Definitely don't mod unless you've got financial security...

Other than that you can try work study on campus, or work study in exchange for financial aid- most universities are pretty willing to work with you on that.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wish I had more time right now, but all I can say is

make school your #1 priority. While some people can do very well without it, statistically you'll be much better off with it. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:19 PM

Default Cars are great but sometimes there are higher priorties...

such as a good education, support family in a difficult situation. You can always buy another A4 but you cannot always go back to school or undo the hurt that will result in seeing much needed dollars being wasted. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:21 PM

Default School comes first....

Well...stop the mod bug..that can come anytime...for now...get a p/t job..to pay for your own expenses..and help out your mom..and about school....wait for next year to apply for financial aid..if you mom has a hard time finding a job and you have no real income...and your dad is gone..im sure you'll have aid to pay for your school and living expenses..Best of Luck, get an education and you can buy all the mods you want later inlife.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Look for private education loans

Your school counselor and financial aid office should be able to help you find a loan source.

Also, don't discount working on campus or even around campus. Most places cater to students (within a few mile radius of school), so you can pick-up a part-time gig there. Also, look in your school paper.

People are always looking for Data Entry people. Look into those jobs. Unfortunately it doesn't pay much (usually around $7-8 per hour) but it'll be enough to help pay for a car loan and maybe a few meals out.

As for mods for your car... don't even think about it until you're done with school. It's a never ending pit and while the returns in performance are nice, it'll put you into the poor house in no time. (That and you'll NEVER get 100% of the modification money back when you sell your car.)

Good luck.

Bob
'97 A4 2.8QMS
'84 Mustang SVO
Old 02-08-2002, 07:23 PM

Default mod money to school, school gets better job, better job gets new car, new car gets better mods.

and sorry to hear about the home stuff. life is good, things move around, we adjust.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:32 PM

Default You'll have better cars in the future by getting an education now.

Sell the Audi and buy a Honda to get you through school. If you're really motivated to finish school, take a 18-21 credit load...the quicker you're done, the quicker you have a great job and mod money.

There will always be hot mods for cool cars, but you only have so much time to complete your education to take advantage of it.

Wedge
2001 1.8TQMSX
Old 02-08-2002, 07:47 PM

Default I had to sell my car half-way through my undergrad

funny how I was almost crying about selling my civic back then. Things will improve greatly for you and you'll get another car.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I might be switching to one sadly..= (

The cost for school is still increasing...

Quick Reply: Help me keep my Audi..(kinda boring and long)