A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Hey Ed (and any others) as you pass the time..... give this one some thought...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Ed (and any others) as you pass the time..... give this one some thought...

Recently bought a new home and I cannot for the life of me program the homelink to the new Garage door opener. What the f***??? We have a Sears liftmaster. It is relatively new (under three years) - the garage door that is - the A4 is a '01.

I am wondering if you have experienced any of this. I have read through the manual and I have not had any success. Is there some little step that I am missing?

I hate having the remote clipped to the visor... or laying somewhere in the ride.... it is really starting to irritate me.

Oh and I figured that I would ask you for two reasons...

1. You seem to be an electrical guru :-)
2. And if I keep your mind busy for a bit the time will fly by....

TIA

-jer
Old 11-21-2000, 05:58 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Hhehe. I didn't have a single problem. I have a Genie

with rolling code. The directions were pretty clear, but I have heard that you need to perform the programming function 2 even three times so that the homelink can get the rolling code "Al Gore rhythm".
Old 11-21-2000, 06:08 AM

Default doh! I was afraid of that.....

I knew that you would have a simple answer.

Must - buy - new g a r a g e - door opener....

That will resolve the entire issue.

Yeah I have tried programming it at several intervals - nothing. Very frustrating. Thanks for the quick response though. I now have a project over the holiday weekend.

I don't think that I will buy a new garage door opener... there must be a way....
Old 11-21-2000, 06:10 AM

Default Not familiar with the Sears. Is it a rolling code unit...like Genie?

If so, there is a procedure in the '01 manual that both programs the Homelink for your transmitter then re-syncs the opener receiver to the Homelink transmitter. Check the following URL. It is similar to your manual but may lead you to answers to specific questions.<ul><li><a href="http://www.homelink.com/gettingstarted/garage.html">http://www.homelink.com/gettingstarted/garage.html</a</li></ul>
Old 11-21-2000, 06:11 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default It should work fine with yours.... go over what you are doing step by step....

I bet you I knwo what you are not doing, but I'll wait to tell you until you post.
Old 11-21-2000, 06:18 AM

Default Ah.. very cool...

Thank you. I am not sure if it is a rolling code or not. I am going to have to do some more investigating. We just bought the house about two weeks ago and I have not found the manual for it. I may just call Sears to find out more info...

I will give it yet another go. I am sure that I am missing a step. I am just not sure what it is... other wise I might have it programmed.
Old 11-21-2000, 06:18 AM

Ohhh the agony!!!!
Old 11-21-2000, 06:20 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I think I know..... post about how you are programming the link.

Don't say by the book... outline it step by step.

I'll let you know then
Old 11-21-2000, 06:32 AM

Default 1. Pulled up in front of door - techincally I am in the driveway (nose of car facing door)...

2. Reached up and held the two outside buttons for about 20 seconds or so.... light started to blink (I think it has been a few days).
3. Released the buttons
4. I then held the center button down (as this is the one I want to program - with the cute house logo and all)...
5. At the same time I hit the remote about two inches away from the homelink receiver - Garage door started to open....
6. Once I thought that it was programmed - via the lights - again I cannot remember if they were blinking or solid... I tried to close the door of the garage via the homelink
7. Did not work
8. Retried steps 2 through 6 - repeatedly
9. Got pissed and wanted to rip homlink from the visor and throw away.... I avoided doing this however....
10. Contatacted Ed

This is pretty close to the steps that I was taking. I could do it again tonight and take an accurate log of what I am doing... I am sure that I am leaving something out here too.

I am the one that always has a bolt left over after taking somethjing apart and puttin it back together again.... :-D
Old 11-21-2000, 06:36 AM

I even tried holding all three buttons down to clear it.... that did nothing as well

Quick Reply: Hey Ed (and any others) as you pass the time..... give this one some thought...