A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Hurray, my car threw codes!! P1128 and P1130. But I replaced MAF and no different, ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would I measure flow w/o the VAG tool Bentley says I need. It's something you plug into fuse ..

box at #28 I think (fuel pump). The you hook one end to + battery terminal (IIRC) and then turn on for 15 seconds. But I don't have that tool. Is there another way to rig it to turn on pump? BTW, thanks for all these great suggestions!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I took a look at Bentley, you can get by without the tool if you have a helper

The tool has a remote switch to make it easier for one person to perform, but that's all it really does.

Just get a piece of wire that's long enough to go from the battery + terminal to the right side of the fuel pump fuse. Attach one end to the battery terminal (just strip it and twist it around the terminal a few times). With the fuse removed, it should be possible to push the other end of the wire into the slot where the right fuse blade goes.

I take it you have the Bentley manual and the flow rate chart?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks! Yes, I have Bentley. Looks like .4 liter in 15 seconds? And thanks for the tip about the

wire. I knew it couldn't be too hard to rig up but wasn't sure which side of fuse to put wire on. Thanks! Any other ideas if that turns out normal?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yup, right side of the fuse (#28), about 0.4L in 15 seconds.

Keep me posted on what you find. As for other ideas, I'll keep thinking...
Old 04-06-2007, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Will do. Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Which is the fuel return line? The screwed on one or the clamped one? Bentley shows..

that is the screwed on connection. Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't you want to check fuel flow before it gets to the fpr and injectors? Or do I have that reversed? So, which line do I pull off to check flow: the screwed on one or the clamped on one? I have the 2.8 30v.

BTW, I did pull off vacuum line to fpr and sealed vacuum line and it made no change in how engine runs. FYI, I can rev it up a bit with some effort (will stumble if I floor it, but if I massage throttle it will rev up) but only in park or neutral. Put any kind of load on engine, like in gear, and will just stumble. This happens regardless of vacuum attached to fpr or not.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Looks like the return line is the one with the clamp (one of the Bentley pics clearly shows it)

I does make sense to check the return line because that shows how much flow is available at the required rail pressure. The supply line might have a lot of flow with the hose disconnected, but the flow might drop dramatically under pressure.

It looks like the return line will be easier to test with anyway, just need to get a similarly sized hose and slide it onto the metal fitting.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My bad. Bentley has return as clamped on line as best as I can tell. However,

wouldn't you want to check flow before fpr and imjectors as I mentioned in my post above?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default That's my plan. I'm not sure if I'm hoping for low flow or not. Replacing the fuel line..

assuming it has an obstruction can't be easy or cheap I imagine. But since I'm getting lean condition (p1128 and p1130) on both cylinder banks, it is most likely something that is affecting flow to both banks. MAF was not the problem (replaced). Only things I can think of are fuel pump (replaced), fuel filter (replaced, but problem happened right after that), or obstructed fuel line.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Should be able to clear the line if it's obstructed

With the fuel filter removed, you could blast compressed air back through the line from the supply-side (screw) fitting by the engine. That should blast out any crap in there.

Quick Reply: Hurray, my car threw codes!! P1128 and P1130. But I replaced MAF and no different, ideas...